• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Digital scanner

M

MountainMama

I got a letter from my dentist office today announcing that they are adding a new dentist, and that they added a digital scanner and a conebeam to the office.
I am really hoping that means when I go in to get my impressions for my implant crowns in a few weeks I get to use the digital scanner! I absolutely hate impressions as they make me gag and feel like my teeth are being pulled out.
Anyone ever had one done? What is it like?

I am also happy about the new dentist, as it will hopefully make less wait time for appointments now, but I hope he is nice and patient.

I had it done and LOVED it! So much better than those impression trays. My dentist just moved a "wand" around and over my teeth, and that was it. Easy as pie.

I had it done and LOVED it! So much better than those impression trays. My dentist just moved a "wand" around and over my teeth, and that was it. Easy as pie.

awesome! I hope I get to use it, then. I hate impressions because the trays never fit in my mouth well as I have a small mouth. I always gag. I hope it isn’t dependent on insurance either.

Insurance - no
gagging much less of an issue
I use an itero

I have had several done this way. So much better than impressions! (My dentist still does impressions for second molar crowns on me, when I have had them. Those crowns are then made by a lab. Maybe they need to be stronger?) But the others are all with the scanner and cerec in-house crowns. Love it! I’m a gagger and it makes a huge difference!

I have had several done this way. So much better than impressions! (My dentist still does impressions for second molar crowns on me, when I have had them. Those crowns are then made by a lab. Maybe they need to be stronger?) But the others are all with the scanner and cerec in-house crowns. Love it! I’m a gagger and it makes a huge difference!

One of mine will be a second molar. I wonder if I will still have to do the regular impressions, then? The letter didn’t say anything about in house crowns, so I am guessing they are still sending them out to the lab.

Insurance - no
I use an itero

Oh good, thank you! I know my insurance doesn’t cover the conebeam x rays, so I wasn’t sure if the scanner would be the same

Insurance - no
I use an itero

I had iTero used on me several times and used it several times. I must say I didn’t enjoy having my teeth dried and also capturing the distal side of the last molars wasn’t really fun. I know there is a type with a bigger wand and one with a smaller one, we used the bigger one and maybe an older model.
Glad to read it works well for gaggers, I wasn’t too sure. Having a skilled dentist who works quickly and a scanner that captures reliably probably helps.

I had iTero used on me several times and used it several times. I must say I didn’t enjoy having my teeth dried and also capturing the distal side of the last molars wasn’t really fun. I know there is a type with a bigger wand and one with a smaller one, we used the bigger one and maybe an older model.
Glad to read it works well for gaggers, I wasn’t too sure. Having a skilled dentist who works quickly and a scanner that captures reliably probably helps.

So they blow air on your teeth first? I don’t like that idea at all, as my teeth are super sensitive. Hmmm....

So they blow air on your teeth first? I don’t like that idea at all, as my teeth are super sensitive. Hmmm....

No, no, MountainMama. Please do not worry based on my experience, I suspect our scanner was an older one. The teeth needed to be dry in order for the scanner to capture the details more easily and quickly. If your teeth are sensitive, your dentist can simply use a cotton roll to dry them, no reason to worry. Still it could be that our one was simply older and slower, maybe a new scanner doesn’t even need that step. I am not a dentist so please feel free to believe whatever makes you feel better and doubt whatever makes you feel worse:)

No, no, MountainMama. Please do not worry based on my experience, I suspect our scanner was an older one. The teeth needed to be dry in order for the scanner to capture the details more easily and quickly. If your teeth are sensitive, your dentist can simply use a cotton roll to dry them, no reason to worry. Still it could be that our one was simply older and slower, maybe a new scanner doesn’t even need that step. I am not a dentist so please feel free to believe whatever makes you feel better and doubt whatever makes you feel worse:)
Thanks for the clarification. I would assume this one is new. I am so ready to have this appointment behind me and be one step closer to getting my implant crowns!

All impression techniques require dry and clean teeth with the exception of hydrocolloid like Alginate which isn't accurate.
I've used an itero for 10+ years and its usually much easier on a patient than traditional impressions.

All impression techniques require dry and clean teeth with the exception of hydrocolloid like Alginate which isn't accurate.
I've used an itero for 10+ years and its usually much easier on a patient than traditional impressions.

Thank you for the clarification. I can see why teeth would need to be clean and dry to get accurate results.
I do hate the traditional impressions so surely it will be easier

I didn’t get the digital scan. They did the old fashioned impressions.

Oh, so sorry to read that :( how did you manage to cope?

Oh, so sorry to read that :( how did you manage to cope?
It wasn’t as bad as usual. They did one tray at a time and I only gagged a little. It was easier than the previous ones that I have had.

Sounds like they exceeded your expectation, which is always a good thing when it comes to dental stuff. What will be the next step?

Sounds like they exceeded your expectation, which is always a good thing when it comes to dental stuff. What will be the next step?

It definitely was easier than I had imagined. If all impressions were that simple, it wouldn’t be so bad.
I go back on February 24 to get the crowns put on! That is the last step for these implants, thankfully!
I go in next week for my 6th month cleaning.
As soon as these implants are finished, the plan is to address the two lower left molars that hurt off and on. I really need a break from all this, though, so if there are no pressing concerns, like decay under the fillings, I am going to try to put those off.

It definitely was easier than I had imagined. If all impressions were that simple, it wouldn’t be so bad.
I go back on February 24 to get the crowns put on! That is the last step for these implants, thankfully!
I go in next week for my 6th month cleaning.
As soon as these implants are finished, the plan is to address the two lower left molars that hurt off and on. I really need a break from all this, though, so if there are no pressing concerns, like decay under the fillings, I am going to try to put those off.
It sure been a long journey for you, I’m so glad your getting near the end though and things are going better ? I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

It sure been a long journey for you, I’m so glad your getting near the end though and things are going better ? I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you! Yes, it has been crazy. I don’t know if you saw any of my other more recent posts but my doctor is doing all kinds of tests as she suspects an autoimmune disorder or possibly just a “malfunction”.