• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dilemma about Lower Wisdom and Nerve Damage

K

kierrs

Junior member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
2
Please bear with me and my little story.

I've always been nervous and paranoid so instead of seeking a second opinion, I've sought for FOUR. Here's a summary of what they told me:

Dentist A: It's no good, get it out.

Dentist B: No good, get it out. (I also did an x-ray, it's about 90 degrees horizontally impacted)

Dentist C: Are you crazy? On the x-ray it's 2mm from the nerve, which means in reality it'll be 1mm! There'll be 50% risk of permanent nerve paralysis. You'll experience drooling and lose sensation in your lower jaw and you won't be able to smile properly! Just go to a dentist every 2-3 months and clean properly. (This REALLY freaked me out, the words 50%, permanent, drooling, abnormal smile... I shan't have to elaborate...)

Dentist D: 1mm is nothing. No worries, just get it out.


I don't know if I was stupid, but I also invested on a waterjet at Dentist C's place. The reason I'm so worried is because I always notice a dark shadow around the gap between the wisdom tooth and its neighboring molar. I can barely floss anything but when I use the waterjet, it kinda always flushes something out. Though after that, there's still a fine line of shadow, I'm not sure if it's just the gap.

Now that the shadow is always haunting me, I can't seem to rest easy. I definitely don't want to suffer from major toothache 'cause I'll be studying abroad in US soon. I've heard that the cost over there is expensive, and I'll probably have difficulty going to places being new and all. And if I end up somewhere rural I'm worried it'll be hard to find a good oral surgeon.

Right now it doesn't hurt, but the potential cavity worries me. Not to say those serious words from Dentist C aren't bothering me. How much of truth is there in Dentist C's words? Should I just extract it out? Please don't ask me to seek anymore opinion, I don't think there's any other reputable dentist left! :cry:
 
Last edited:
carole

carole

Well-known member
Forum Buddy
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
7,689
Location
UK
:welcome: it is 3 to 1 so I think the odds say get it out. There is risk with everything we do, good on you for getting four opinions, this was a good idea.

I would get it out now before you travel. I have a waterpik, I used it like mad at first but then got a bit bored with it, I now use it again but not all the time. It won't do any harm and if it removes things from where you have a gap I would continue using it. As long as we still floss and brush it can only be a good thing. Don't use it instead of doing these other things.

I wouldn't go to dentist C though if you decide to go ahead. Let us know what you decide, it is your decision this is only my opinion.

GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES :)
 
K

kierrs

Junior member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
2
Thanks a lot for your opinion! Guess I have to brace myself for it, the worrying part could be endless. :redface:

If I'm really unlucky enough to be the victim of paresthesia, it won't affect my speech or anything right? I mean, will I not be able to pronounce accurately anymore or anything that makes my condition noticeable?
 
carole

carole

Well-known member
Forum Buddy
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
7,689
Location
UK
Don't worry everything will be fine. Talk to your dentist and then trust them to do their job. They have to explain everything to you good and bad.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on. I would have the treatment in your position. I had all four of my wisdoms out 25 years ago and mine were impacted and difficult I was told so yours will be fine.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:
 
P

phsgirl

Junior member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
14
I am in the exact same boat! I'm getting my upper one out next week, but I'm putting off the lower one b/c of the nerve damage risk. My oral surgeon said "Oh, it rarely happens," but my thought process is that it can happen and it could happen to me. I'm still deciding what to do about the lower one. I've gotten three opinions as well, and all the surgeons say it has to come out:( Thank goodness it's not infected. I hope you make a decision you feel comfortable with!
 
Top