• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Direct Pulp Cap Question

L

lori726

I had a cavity being filled last year and the dentist said it was deeper than it appeared on the xray. He said he exposed the pulp and did a direct pulp cap. He waited like a month and then placed a crown on this tooth. I am now reading that direct pulp caps often fail and I am worried about this tooth since it has a crown on it. Uf it turns out I need a root canal on this tooth how is it done. Is it possible to remove the crown without damaging the tooth? Is the root canal done with the crown left on the tooth? I don't want to lose this tooth and even though it feels fine now I am worried that I will end up needing a root canal and having a crown on the tooth will makes things more difficult. How is a root canal done on a crowned tooth without damage to the tooth?

Uf it turns out I need a root canal on this tooth how is it done.
Either remove the crown or drill through it.

Is it possible to remove the crown without damaging the tooth?
Yes, depends on what kind of crown and what it was stuck on with.

Is the root canal done with the crown left on the tooth?
Can be.

I don't want to lose this tooth and even though it feels fine now I am worried that I will end up needing a root canal and having a crown on the tooth will makes things more difficult.
Doesn't make things more difficult, just a bit more time consuming to get started.

Back