• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Direct Pulp Cap still not calmed down!

P

Pulpcappedme

I had a lower molar direct pulp capped about a year and a half ago. I haven't been able to chew on that side since. It is very pressure sensitive, and taking a couple of bites on that side can cause aching for days :(. Last week I took a couple experimental bites on it and had pain, and even an abcess a few days later. I was happy to bear with it all this time in hopes that it would calm down. My only alternative is to have it extracted, which I have have been trying to avoid due to concerns about teeth shifting/loosening next to and above the space. Is it time to give it up and just get it pulled? If it hasn't calmed down in 1 1/2 years, is there pretty much no hope? I would love to not have to be careful of that area anymore, but am so hesitant to do something as permanent as extraction. :(

I little perspective here would be appreciated. I know I could talk to my dentist, but I kind of want to wrap my head around what I want to do when I arrive at my next appt.

Thanks!

Hello,
did you ever ask the dentist why you continued to have pain with the tooth? Did the dentist offer any other solutions besides pulling it? when you get to your appointment have an honest discussion with him about all your options...maybe it would be easy to fix it?

Why don't you get a root canal treatment by an endodontist preferably?

Hello,
did you ever ask the dentist why you continued to have pain with the tooth? Did the dentist offer any other solutions besides pulling it? when you get to your appointment have an honest discussion with him about all your options...maybe it would be easy to fix it?
Yes, we've talked about it in the past, and have done minor corrections to the shape of the filling that reduced the pressure. At this point I think it's just the nature of direct pulp capped nerves, sometimes they calm down, sometimes not.

Why don't you get a root canal treatment by an endodontist preferably?
I've been told the tooth is not a good candidate for a root canal, and I'd prefer not to have a root canaled tooth in my mouth anyway.

Thanks for the replies! :)

I just had all my root canaled teeth removed also...Dont want another one either...Just my preference..

Back