• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Disappointed-Turned Away by Two Dentist

S

ScaredMama

So I finally got the courage to email 2 dentist. Just to talk. Both suggested I see a sedation dentist, didn't even talk to me. :shame:

Sorry to hear that but in a way thats good. This means that they weren't the dentist for you.

If a dentist doesn't want to go slower for a nervous or phobic paitent then its easier for them to suggest sedation rather than take their time, for them time = money.

I was reccomended a dentist who was meant to be good with nervous people but I found I couldn't get on with her when I met her. That really sent me on a downer, but the next dentist I 'interviewed' I found did listen to me and take me seriously, together we have managed to perform a lot of procedures including an extraction, something that the very thought of would make me panic before.

Don't give up, you will find a caring dentist who you will hit it off with, together you will make a team and you will work through your fears to get the treatment you want. :XXLhug:

Hug to you Scaredmama. I do agree with Robotguy, much better to find out upfront they are not a dentist for or worthy of you. They are not the norm and I wish you all good luck in finding a dentist who is as compassionate as...the other two were not. Hang in there.

Mona

Scaredmama,
Don't give up! The right one is out there...
Hang in there..:grouphug:

Thanks guys, I'm trying not to give up!:grouphug:

Don't feel badly. I emailed two dentists a few months back, that used sedation and claimed that they cared about fearful patients, and yet I never heard a word back from either. It really discouraged me at the time, and I let things go another month.

Finally I got up the courage to call somebody and now I've already had my extractions done, and a bridge and I go for a cleaning in a few weeks.

The right dentist is out there. I know how discouraging it is to be turned away, but don't give up. It's too important. Somebody will help you.

before you get totally turned off by a dentist's practice, make sure they are actually getting your emails. I did that with the endodontist, never heard anything and then had no choice but to call them. They never got my emails until after I had the appoinment.....Lost in cyber Space

RP

Just chiming in!!!
I also had problems just this last month e-mailing dentists who wouldn't even give me the courtesy of an e-mail back.
Don't give up!! You will find a dentist that is right for you. I have just started a new relationship with a new dental practice after a disagreement about treatment with a dentist I was going to for 2 1/2 years.
Hugs,
Jen

Back