• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Discomfort after nerve removed - is this normal?

S

Sprinkles

I have a tooth that has had to be filled twice in the past year (because the original dentist messed it up and didn't get all the decay before she filled). When my new dentist filled it he told me the filling was very close to the nerve and that if the tooth didn't settle I would need root canal. Well, the tooth didn't settle, couldn't bear anything cold on it, getting toothache etc. Went back to the dentist yesterday and he removed the nerve and put a temporary filling in as the first part of the root canal treatment. The sensitivity has completely gone, no problems with that, but I still feel like I'm getting twinges from the tooth, but how is this possible if the nerve has been removed? I'm so scared if getting an abscess that I don't know if what I'm feeling is normal or if I'm overthinking it. It doesn't hurt all the time, it's literally just the odd twinge but it's making me really anxious. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi Sprinkels,

not a dentist, but to put your mind at ease a bit, it is not unusual for theeth that got a root canal treatment start to still be painful. It takes several visits to clean the tooth properly. I am not sure what exactly is happening with your tooth now and whether there is a nerve in it or not currently (the way I know about is opening the tooth on the first visit and put a medication in it that kills the bacteria in the canals, the actual removing of the nerve and cleaning of the canals happens in the visit after that, but again I'm not a dentist so not sure what you got done), however needing at least few days for things to settle is normal.

Hope this helps for the start and hope you get a reply from a dentist soon, or, if that is an option, you could still give your dental practice a call, they should be able to reassure you about this.

All the best wishes

Hi Sprinkels,

not a dentist, but to put your mind at ease a bit, it is not unusual for theeth that got a root canal treatment start to still be painful. It takes several visits to clean the tooth properly. I am not sure what exactly is happening with your tooth now and whether there is a nerve in it or not currently (the way I know about is opening the tooth on the first visit and put a medication in it that kills the bacteria in the canals, the actual removing of the nerve and cleaning of the canals happens in the visit after that, but again I'm not a dentist so not sure what you got done), however needing at least few days for things to settle is normal.

Hope this helps for the start and hope you get a reply from a dentist soon, or, if that is an option, you could still give your dental practice a call, they should be able to reassure you about this.

All the best wishes

Thank you for replying. Yes, I have had the nerve removed and the antibiotic put in and sealed with a temporary filling, I just can't get my head around how something can still feel pain (albeit very low level) when there's no nerve there. I'm reluctant to call my dentist because I feel a bit silly about it all and I don't want them to think I'm crazy (even if I am!). I wish I'd just had the tooth out if I'm honest. I suffer from such anxiety after I've had dental work, it's just horrible. Thank you again for replying, I really appreciate it!

I feel a bit silly about it all and I don't want them to think I'm crazy (even if I am!)

I know this is hard, but please never feel silly about anything regarding your dental health and your anxiety. Dentists are there to support patiens and this stretches to any insecurities after a procedure as well. It would make me sad if I knew that someone is worried about something and doesn't have the courage to call the office.

Writing this generally in case you ever in the future feel hesitant about getting in touch with your dentist..

Thank you, you're completely right. I have just put a call into the dentist and I'm waiting for them to call back. I feel like I'm going insane with worry over something that might not even be a problem!

Back