Discomfort four days after extraction

E

eric2005

Difficult molar was extracted Friday. Today is Tuesday. After extraction I took acetaminophen. Pain was not strong. Bleeding stopped fairly quickly same day. I have been careful not to touch extracted area and have gargled in warm salt water. Yesterday discomfort level increased. Maybe it's just soreness. Dentist said extraction was difficult as he had to drill a lot and take out rotted tooth in portions. Still I feel discomfort, soreness or pain at a low level. I am scheduled to return to dentist one week from today. Have a long trip at end of month. Getting worried.

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that 3-4 days after the extraction is when the discomfort peaks. At least that's been my experience. If you find that you have a fever or if the pain continues to get worse, you should call you dentist and let him have a look. I had a difficult extraction a few months ago and it was sore (but bearable) for many weeks after.

A

Anxious76

I think that 3-4 days after the extraction is when the discomfort peaks. At least that's been my experience. If you find that you have a fever or if the pain continues to get worse, you should call you dentist and let him have a look. I had a difficult extraction a few months ago and it was sore (but bearable) for many weeks after.

I agree. It usually takes a week to a week and a half to start feeling better after a difficult extraction.

E

eric2005

Thanks for comments. I called dentist and was told that it peaks three or four days later (today is Wednesday; the extraction was Friday). Pain is mild - more discomfort than anything - but persistent. First time I have had lingering pain after an extraction. Dentist said to take ibuprofen 600 mg instead of Tylenol which hadn't been working well. I took 400 mg ibuprofen which was effective. To make matters worse yesterday I burnt the roof of my mouth! I return to dentist next Tuesday.