• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dissolvable dressing

Kat75

Kat75

Hi everyone.

I posted this thread in "Your Dentistry Questions answered" section, but didn't get any replies(apart from Mary sending me a comment, which then disappeared after I replied to it??).

Well, it's been ten days now since I've had my wisdom teeth extracted.

I have had this really bad taste in my mouth(no matter how many times I brushed my teeth and tongue or rinsed with salt water etc.), plus my lower left extraction site was aching a fair bit, so I thought I'd better phone the Oral Surgeon's office for an appointment. The lady on the phone said it seems unlikely it would be dry socket(given the length of time since the extractions), but said I should come in anyway for a check-up.

So I went yesterday. The Oral Surgeon took a look inside my mouth, touched the socket and it really hurt. He filled a syringe with water to clean it out and had me spit in a cup a few times. They were a couple of tiny bits of food in it, but he said overall it was very clean. He did however say he wanted to put a dressing in the socket, just to help ease the pain.

When he put it in, it really hurt, but the taste was even worse. Oh my God, it was foul, lol. He said it's dissolvable, so I don't need to come back to have it changed, unless I experience more pain. He also said they normally don't do follow-up appointments after wisdom teeth extraction(is this an American thing or is it the same in the UK?), but if I would like to come back and have him check it out, he'd be happy too.

He also said that my teeth were very difficult to remove, so it would be natural that everything isn't back to normal just yet.

Just to clarify: I only had three wisdom teeth. The worst bit is where the bottom left one was - there is a huge hole. I wonder if this is because the tooth was almost fully out?

Also, do I go back for a check-up after a while, just for peace of mind? But I don't want to keep bothering the oral surgeon.

Katx

Hi Kat.....me again:)I think the big hole is normal because some of the teeth I had extracted 2 months ago we're huge and the holes are actually still pretty big.
I deleted my post yesterday because I realized I wasent answering a question and I thought the dentists would do better:)
Anyway....I hope u are feeling better soon and congradulations on all your progress thus far.:jump:

Back