• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Distal impacted LL8 extraction

T

TheTinyDancer

Hey, due to three episodes of pericoronitis in 6months I've been referred to get my wisdom tooth out. It's about 60-70% erupted through the gum but due to the positioning the surgeon has said it might be tricky. I took the advice of another surgeon who raised concerns that the tooth was close to the alveolar nerve and a coronectomy may be better. The first surgeon (who is doing the procedure) doesn't agree. Would anyone be kind enough to look at the opg attached and advise please? I'm so stressed about the whole saga. Just to make things more complex I also have tmjd and am being investigated for neuralgia also so I'm worried getting the tooth out will cause more issues. I may be getting LL6 out also due to continuing pain from RCT. The rct was done after opg was taken.
Main questions are
1) is it very close to nerve
2)does it look like very difficult extraction
3)would it be better to get both the LL6 and LL8 out on same day?
4) how long should I expect recovery to take?
I have a newborn at home also and struggling to manage with the anxiety this is causing

Attachments

• 20200810_235857.jpg
    20200810_235857.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 16
1) Yes but this is a 2D image, so you can't be certain
2) Not especially but you can't usually be certain from an x-ray (again!)
3) Definitely if you felt up to it, the 6 will come out pretty quickly
4) A few weeks, but the TMJ might well be aggravated by the procedure.

Back