• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Do antibiotics post root canal work? Or failed root canal?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I don't think there's any particular reason to be concerned at the moment, RCT'ed teeth can be strange.
The only thing you're risking with further infection is a bit of pain, dental bacteria don't go elsewhere in your body and don't cause issues elsewhere, they're fragile wee beasties and don't do well outside of their natural environment.

S

Squashface

Thanks Gordon. Have you heard of this sort of thing before? Could it still suddenly resolve it’s self with time?

It’s just a shame the symptoms aren’t really improving. They do seem to fluctuate and change day to day. But I can’t honestly say it’s considerably improved, but it hasn’t become worse. I’ll definitely call the dentist if it gets worse or still isn’t better in time.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I can't really answer your question without a crystal ball :), hopefully it'll get better in time, they mostly do.

M

Mayo

Thanks Gordon. Have you heard of this sort of thing before? Could it still suddenly resolve it’s self with time?

It’s just a shame the symptoms aren’t really improving. They do seem to fluctuate and change day to day. But I can’t honestly say it’s considerably improved, but it hasn’t become worse. I’ll definitely call the dentist if it gets worse or still isn’t better in time.
I had a root canal recently and had to have antibiotics after because I got what he called a secondary infection. The antibiotics helped but didn't take away all the symptoms. However, 6 weeks or so later and I'm definitely on the mend. My dentist said it can sometimes take up to 3 months for the infection to heal.

S

Squashface

Thank you Mayo- that’s really great to hear! Every time I think it’s improving it starts hurting a little again. I rang my dentist today and he didn’t seem concerned at all. He told me I need to wait longer. I’m feeling a bit more positive! Fingers crossed it calms down.