• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do deep fillings ever work

• Thread starter Makemefeelbetter70
  • Start date
M

Makemefeelbetter70

Do deep fillings ever work or will they always need root canals?

I received three deep fillings in July of 2014 on two bottom molars and a top molar and haven't had any pain or issues with them thus far.

I received three deep fillings in July of 2014 on two bottom molars and a top molar and haven't had any pain or issues with them thus far.
were they near the nerve of your teeth?

Most of my molar teeth had deep fillings put in around high school/beginning of college. After 10 years (and not taking care of my mouth), I now need root canals in most of them. I'm not sure what the result would have been if I properly cared for my mouth though. Still no regrets - root canals are the last step before needing to get the tooth extracted.

Thank you for your reply. Do you mind me asking how long after you had your deep filling did you need to have a root canal?

I had a deep filling on a back tooth and it lasted nearly 7 years before needing a rct. Don't be afraid of a rct they are not as bad as people think they are. I would rather have another rct than another deep filling anyday. A lot less drilling involved. :butterfly:

I had a deep filling on a back tooth and it lasted nearly 7 years before needing a rct. Don't be afraid of a rct they are not as bad as people think they are. I would rather have another rct than another deep filling anyday. A lot less drilling involved. :butterfly:

Agreed! I was nearly falling asleep during my last root canal because of how well the dentist did it- drilling and putting in a filling bothers me way more.

As Carole said; root canal treatment is nothing to be afraid of. Before I had my first root canal (about 5 years ago now), the dentist I was seeing at time, knew how terrified I was and persuaded me to have the treatment by telling me that it wasn't that much different to a filling; the only difference from my point of view, was that it would take a bit longer because they have to go a bit deeper.

Five years on and I've actually ended up having 8 root canals, so you could say I'm used to it now :rolleyes:. I didn't believe the dentist I saw five years ago, but actually he was right - once you're numb, it's more or less like a long filling appointment. Sometimes treatment is done over two or three appointments, but they're all pretty much the same.

I always used to think that people falling asleep during a root canal appointment was a myth, but I've fallen asleep a couple of times myself, so it does happen :redface::p!!

I have a very deep filling which my dentist said could fail at any time, and that was more than 10 years ago. I was advised to have a root canal by a terrible HMO dental place, and the endo they sent me to was a major part of adding to my dental phobia. My pre-HMO dentist was the one who did the deep filling because I was terrified of the idea of a root canal after fleeing the endo's office. I suspect the tooth will need a root canal within a couple of years, but thankfully I have a wonderful dentist who showed me root canals can be painless and are nothing to fear. You may luck out with a deep filling, but if RCT is the best option and you find a dentist you can trust, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

yes deep fillings often work

Back