• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do dentists judge you?

K

kayduck

Ok, made another appointment with dentist after cancelling the last one. 20something of September.
This may sound silly but im so worried what he will think of me and my teeth.
For a while now iv done my own temporary fillings etc. Trust me if i could have done the root filling i would have given it a go.
Will he judge me doing these fillings? Will it show i do it because its easier than facing the dentist?
Any advise guys please..

Hey Kayduck,

I, and all other dentists see this all the time. DIY temporary fillings, loose crowns and dentures stuck together with superglue, loose teeth held in with sewing thread.

What do I think? Well people are ingenious and do what they have to do in a situation, especially when they are trying to avoid seeing a dentist for one reason or another. I do the same sort of running repairs in other aspects of my life for the same reason.

Do I judge patients for doing this? well yes, I am often very impressed with the neat work and end up complimenting the patient on doing a fine job. Just five hours ago I had to ask a patient what brand of temporary filling he had purchased as it stayed put so well.

So I would not worry about it at all, the dentist's only concern will be how to help you, and not annoy his nurse by making too big a mess and running late, unless of course, he or she is a complete ar@#hole, in which case who cares what they think!

Lincoln

P.s did they tell you? Just incase i need to buy more :)

I think im more anxious of being judged for my diy than my problems. It keeps me awake at night to be honest.

In your opinion are private dentists more inclined to be gentle with having more time.

In your opinion are private dentists more inclined to be gentle with having more time.
I know some private dentists who are really rough with their patients so not necessarily.
Having said that, it is much easier to be gentle when you are not rushing something. Most NHS dentists have to work really fast to make a living so will be under serious time pressure.
Another factor is that in order to attract and retained patients, private dentists need to develop a really good reputation, and being known to be gentle is a big factor in bringing in new patients.

Thank you. One last question if i may? I need fillings and a root filling with this new dentist. Either way im very nervous , a because i dont know how long the root filling will take. Do i dive straight in or go slow?
Thank you so much for your help. You dont do house calls do you :)

@drhirst to be honest its so difficult to get a nhs dentist i may not have a choice but to go private. My last nhs dentist asked me to leave as i was to nervous for him to treat. Neen after another one ever since

Back