• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I go dentist?

MeaDrea

MeaDrea

So I'm in a pickle. about 2 weeks ago I had a mini seizure event (new to me) that triggered bells palsy.

They put me on a high dose of prednisone.

On day 7 I experienced the most intense pain in my teeth I've ever had in my life. I mean, it was so bad I considered going to the ER. It felt like it was in my broken tooth, (I've had it for about 6 months. Doctor said it wasn't an emergency to get fixed... that as long as I keep it clean it should be okay for a while.) The tooth never hurt before.

The next morning the pain was gone. I stopped in at the dentist to see if I could get an appointment, but they can't get to me until August. Dentist seemed to think it was the prednisone because that was a very common issue.

It didn't hurt anymore, so I wasn't in a rush anyway. For days it didn't bother me at all. I got off prednisone, and have been off for about 4 days now.

Tonight the pain started again. This time it feels like it's a different tooth... and my jaw/ear.

No fever, my gums aren't swollen or red... So I'm not thinking abscess or infection of any kind...

Took 3 tylenol and a dose of CBD oil... plus an allegra since I do feel my sinuses stuffier... and I feel a little better.

I don't know if it's dental... lasting effects of the prednisone (I still have moon face from it)... if it's the bell's palsy itself...

I'm honestly freaked out about having to go to the dentist... I was kind of happy having to wait till August cause it gives me time to mentally prepare... but I'm really nervous about having to go on an emergency basis.

Any thoughts?

Hi MeaDrea,

this sounds scary! I don't know enough about the conditions and the medication you described to say anything, but the rule of the thumb is that if you are in pain and it is bothering you, then getting it checked is the best thing to do. It is ok not to know whether it's dental or not and it's ok to have it checked.

Now I understood that you are not keen on seeing a dentist too soon, but I was wondering whether seeing the professional who put you on the prednisol may be an idea? They may be able to check whether it's the bell's palsy itself or not. If they don't find anything, then you know it is likely to be dental.

All the best wishes