• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I have Dry Socket or is bad taste surges or "squirts" normal from tooth extactions?

M

MissSamB

Do I have Dry Socket or is bad taste surges or "squirts" normal from tooth extactions?

I had my teeth extracted for dentures last Monday so 4 days ago. I hear about dry socket and somewhat concerned cause I am a smoker and know and hear to not smoke to avoid dry socket same with any kind of suction movements with the mouth or from straws. Well i've done my best to not smoke and significantly cut down but I am guilty from having a quick 2 or 3 puffs from a cig but been very careful not to suck too hard as well as use my cheeks to sorta shield the healing openings from extracted teeth.

I also have caught myself after eating trying to suck any food from the pockets. which realized same as suctioning and could pull out the clotted tissue needed to protect socket.

I went online to read about dry socket and got really nervous about the symptom specifying bad taste in mouth

My question is if i'm experiencing surges of bad taste or foul tasting/smelling "squirts" from a particular socket/s. Does this signify dry socket or could those same foul surges be normal for tooth extraction? I vaguely remember having these same ick taste from sockets when i had my wisdom teeth removed years ago. and dont think i was ever told or diagnose to have dry socket nor treated for it.

Still i am curious and concerned since now I am a smoker, caught myself making suction with my mouth and experiencing those bad tastes decribed in the symptoms of dry socket.

I am still pretty swollen- my pain was really bad the first 3 days now day 4 hasnt decreased significantly but hasnt increased like drysocket describes either. But still generall in overall in the same pain i have been the entire past 4 days

Opinions?

Re: Do I have Dry Socket or is bad taste surges or "squirts" normal from tooth extactions?

Hi,

i think you are doing fine. If the pain has been receding it means the tissues are slowly healing and there no dry socket.

Back