• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Do I have dry socket?

J

Joeb

Hi guys not sure what to think, my dentist said I can eat normally and drink normally so I decided to have some soft pasta, but abit of the tiny lettuce piece has now got stuck in there and I see what looks like white tissue? Not sure if is though. I only had the extraction yesterday at 5oclock eastern time, not sure if I’m am going to develop dry socket and I am absolutely terrified if I am honest, my dentist is due to ring me back but until then can anyone help?

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi Joeb,
What you are describing sounds like a normal appearance of a socket at this early stage. So hopefully, all is OK.

J

Joeb

Yeah thank you for your message ... I have looked this morning and can’t see the food anymore, I think the wound is healing correctly and all is good :)

J

Joeb

Also is it normal to still bleed here and there not a lot but seems to be whenever I drink or anything 🤔

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes, warm drinks can dissolve a bit of the clot, it's no big deal.

J

Joeb

Thank you gordon for that.... also I’m not sure if it my molar tooth on the upper right side where I have begun stage one root canal treatment but that area and surrounding area feels swollen and under a bit of pressure, not sure what to think dentist keeps telling me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen but I have been taking them for the last week and a half pretty much (so frustrating) woke up this morning in a bit of discomfort

J

Joeb

And it radiates up to my temple on that side when I lay down, really not sure what it is

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Could be TMJ, could be the upper molar, it's impossible to tell without more information... any pressure sensitivity in the molar?

J

Joeb

I can eat on it no problem but the pressure returns soon after, when I lay down it seems to be worse then. My gums around the tooth and the tooth next it feels inflamed compared to the left side

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sorry, can't really suggest anything other than going back to your dentist, which I assume you're doing anyway. How urgently you need to go would depend on how much it's hurting :)

J

Joeb

I’m not hurting too much it’s just a dull achey feeling... also my tooth I got extracted on Wednesday at 5olclock GMT.... it’s seems to bleed then stop then bleed then stop ... as it’s nearly been 72 hours I’m wondering if it’s normal? Not excessive blood but blood none the less... the colour in it is also greeny, yellow, white... is that normal? Surely you can help out with that? Haha

T

tooth_help_please

So I just got 4 of my teeth extracted (on July 17 and it is now July 20th) because I’m getting braces in two weeks. I am afraid that I might be developing a dry socket but I can’t tell and I’m probably just being paranoid, but either way I just want everything to be okay.

This area feels like the deepest socket and food always gets stuck there. I had some pain yesterday and I have to put ice on it and my breath wasn’t horrible, but it tasted weird this morning. Plus it was kind of dry. I’ve been taking pain pills when needed every 4-6 hours.

So if anyone could confirm that this is or isn’t a dry sockets that would be great. Thank you.

Attachments

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Hi there, happy to tell you that it doesn’t look or sound like a typical dry socket. It’s normal that things can be tender during the healing period. Such sensations can be a normal part of the healing process. If food is getting stuck it may contribute to the tenderness and foul smell/ taste so continuing to rinse with warm salty water is a good idea. This can aid healing and removal of food debris.

Hopefully things will settle and continue to heal. If discomfort were to continue or progress it is still a good idea to contact the dentist who removed the teeth as he/she may be able to help further.

H

Hayden

Don't worry, I had a extraction on Monday and I was anxious about getting dry socket but despite my constant thoughts that I've messed up and am gonna get it, I'm still doing perfectly fine. It's mostly in your head, as long as you keep up the post-extraction salt rinses and keep brushing you'll be fine. (Of course, being careful not to accidentally touch the clot while brushing.)

I had a bad taste and slight bad smell coming from it too.

Also, I get the feeling that the hole feels bigger than it actually is most of the time.

Hope you heal well, and fast! :)

T

tooth_help_please

Don't worry, I had a extraction on Monday and I was anxious about getting dry socket but despite my constant thoughts that I've messed up and am gonna get it, I'm still doing perfectly fine. It's mostly in your head, as long as you keep up the post-extraction salt rinses and keep brushing you'll be fine. (Of course, being careful not to accidentally touch the clot while brushing.)

I had a bad taste and slight bad smell coming from it too.

Also, I get the feeling that the hole feels bigger than it actually is most of the time.

Hope you heal well, and fast! :)
Thank you that definitely puts my mind at ease for sure.

T

tooth_help_please

Hi there, happy to tell you that it doesn’t look or sound like a typical dry socket. It’s normal that things can be tender during the healing period. Such sensations can be a normal part of the healing process. If food is getting stuck it may contribute to the tenderness and foul smell/ taste so continuing to rinse with warm salty water is a good idea. This can aid healing and removal of food debris.

Hopefully things will settle and continue to heal. If discomfort were to continue or progress it is still a good idea to contact the dentist who removed the teeth as he/she may be able to help further.
I also have another question. So the area I had a tooth pulled on my lower jaw doesn’t hurt, but the tooth next to the socket hurts. Is that normal? Because it kind of feels loose.

Last edited:
Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have this in the FAQ here on the site, take a look here. Hope it helps.

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
I also have another question. So the area I had a tooth pulled on my lower jaw doesn’t hurt, but the tooth next to the socket hurts. Is that normal? Because it kind of feels loose.
That can happen, yes. Should settle down fine over the coming days/weeks.