• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I need a 2nd opinion?

K

KylalaKitty

My dentist had told me that I need a crown on a back tooth because it has too many fillings in it and may some time in the future break if I dont get a crown put on it. A filling was put in it a while ago, I'm thinking around September. That tooth hurts most of the time (not like super painful) and its very sensitive to cold (mouth wash, cold hands, cold air all hurt it). Doesn't this sound like I need MORE than just a crown? He said that the pain is from the tooth healing from the filling still. Should I try a different dentist? (I'm broke without insurance and been seeing this dentist because the office visits are income based). I just dont want to make an appointment for a crown just for it to not solve my problems or make them even worse so I don't know what to do. :shame: Should I try to seek out a 2nd opinion?

Anyone here have crowns? What reason did you get yours?

In my unfortunate experience and from everything I have read after it was too late for me, you never ever ever put a permanent crown on a tooth that has problems. it is possible that you need a crown but do not let them put on a permanent until you see if a cheaper temporary solves your problems and wait until you are pain free for weeks before letting them do a permanent. I paid $1200 for a permanent crown in November which made my pain worse and I just had that tooth extracted 4 days ago. total waste of money.

I have 4 of them. 2 were done due to continued decay on teeth that already had large (and multiple) fillings. I know that sometimes fillings can cause sensitivity, especially if they are along the gum line as the gums can become irritated and recede a bit. A crown may solve the problem.

However, usually a crown is done in 2 steps (a temporary first while you wait for the lab to make the permanent one). I'd want to be certain that the pain doesn't get worse (and hopefully gets a little better with the temp) before is allow a permanent crown to go on.

Not to complicate your decision here but I've had two crowns so far. I've got two more coming here in the not too distant future. The first one I had been having pain, serious pain, in a back molar for a really long time. I figured it was a cavity under the old metal filling. Turned out I had cracked the tooth. I was having pain yet the dentist crowned the tooth, no root canal first. It took MONTHS for the tooth and gum to settle down...about 7 but it did and has been absolutely fine for 21 years. Not a peep out of it.

Second crown was from a tooth that lost a filling. I waited about 2 years before going to the dentist to get it fixed and in that time infection set in and the pain went from a 5 to a 50 and I needed a root canal and crown as the tooth was now too damaged just to fill. It has been nothing but trouble since.

I have a cracked molar needing a root canal and crown I am supposed to fix in two weeks and ditto the tooth above it. I think if you can stick with a filling and give that a chance to settle I would go that route first. Did they put a pulp cap on the tooth? If they didn't you may want to ask for one. A pulp cap is a special kind of filling with medicine to help quiet and soothe the nerve that goes right around the outside of the sensitive root canal/nerve area of the tooth before the rest of the filling is put on. It is used for really deep fillings as a step to hopefully prevent a root canal and sensitivity inside the tooth and let it heal or settle down.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do.

I think I will do the crown and once I get my work schedule for next month I will schedule the procedure. I talked to my dentist more and he said it may solve my sensitivity issues. He only doesn't root canals and tooth removals if the patient is in a lot of pain and it keeps them awake at night. My tooth doesn't hurt unless I'm drinking/eating something cold. Wish me luck! I have to do something :(

Back