• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I need antibiotics following ahip replacement

W

worthysmum

I had a total hip replacement on the 4/2/2014 following a nasty horse riding accident. I have since read that I should have antibiotics before any dental procedure, even a clean. My surgeon never mentioned this so Im wondering if this is correct, thank you.:dunno:

Contact your dentist and ask them before going for treatment, just to be safe. I haven't heard of this but then I am not a dr or dentist.

Are you going to have some treatment from the dentist? :butterfly:

You should ask your dentist what he thinks, he's in a better position to know. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Dental Association positions have changed a lot in the past few years regarding the issue. Your dentist might even want to talk to your orthopedist to see with him what is the safest way to perform a dental procedure, since each case is different.

Also, doctors and dentists in general are recommended to give less antibiotics nowadays versus a few years ago. Studies are showing that giving antibiotics might not always be the best solution. The question is to choose what is safest and would be the least harmful between going with antibiotics and going without antibiotics.

Last edited:
In the UK we no longer give antibiotic cover for dental treatment because you've have had a hip replaced.
The risks of antibiotics outweight the advantages.

Back