• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I need to bother the dentist again

D

DM69

I've been taking Erythromycin since Friday for an infection in a back molar that's broken off to the gum line. It hurt like hell, but has settled considerably, so the antibiotics are obviously doing their job. BUT, there is still a bit of pain - and if I press on the area it hurts, although not as badly as before.

Obviously - I shan't press on it (!), but I'm concerned there may be some residual infection still. My antibiotics will run out tomorrow. Should I ask the dentist for a refill, just to be sure? I just don't want the infection to rear up again, possibly worse that before. I'm also swishing with Corsodyl 3 times a day.

Dentists - what do you think? Thanks :)

It's a real tough one. Personally I'd ask the dentist for a prescription for a different spectrum antibiotic like Flagyl, but I wouldn't start to take it unless things got worse again. You could get the script without actually seeing the dentist.

Thanks, Gordon - that's exactly what I'll do. Happy Christmas :)

Back