• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I really need the deep planing?

D

De8934

Hi, i'm new on here. Recently found your website and just wanted to ask. I'm due to have root planing, never had this before. once this is done will I have to have this done regularly? I'm not a regular visitor to dentists for alot of reasons, so i'm not sure I would continue to have further treatments in the future. I have only ever had the occasional cleanings with the dentist.

Iv'e been told that I clean my teeth well and that my mouth is good but there are areas that bleed easily when the dentist pokes the gums and there is one pocket at the back. Do I really need this done? I sounds very invasive.

Thanks in advance :)

i think it will be really painful and maybe unnecessary. Iv'e heard that dentists do work that dont need doing to get more money. can't stand all the drilling and crap anyway, makes me feel like i can't breath and i'm going to die.

i'll give it a miss.

From my understanding you will not be able to fix your gum disease without this treatment. Your teeth will loosen more and more until they eventually fall out, and gum disease is also associated with heart disease. Then there is the problem of bad breath.

I have had it done once and my gums have been much better ever since. I was numbed up for the procedure and didn't feel a thing.

It's your call, they can't force you to do anything that you don't want
to do.

Have you gone to another dentist for a second opinion? Dentists would
go out of business if every patient that came in didn't need any work
other then a check up, x-rays and a cleaning.

One of the first questions they ask is what type of health insurance you
have. I have never gone to a dentist that didn't have a very expensive
car parked outside his office.

Root planing is what we refer to as a 'deep clean' here is some information, the good news is that it is completely usual to be fully numbed up for the procedure so you would feel no pain during and you would probably do at least 2 visits so that your whole mouth is not numb all at once:

It could be that you could get away with just a regular clean which is explained here:

you can be numbed for this but it is more usual not to be.

If your teeth haven't been cleaned professionally for many years and if you can see visible tartar then it is likely that a deeper clean is appropriate.

You would normally aim to keep up good regular homecare which should mean 6months later you would only need a regular clean and not a deep clean so it is not a lifelong commitment.

Hi, thanks for the replys it's really helps getting a response. I have been told that I have a plak score of 23%, that doesnt sound too bad does it?

Thanks Brit for the links, the information about scaling and root planing it was very helpful, I would like to know if the root planing causes damage to any part of the tooth or gums as a complication of having it done. May be another dentist having a look would help. But I do ask alot of questions which seems ok on here but not so popular with the tooth mechanics. Thanks again.

HI De8934, root planing does not intentionally cause damage to any part of the root. The reason for doing root planing is to remove the bacteria that lie on the 'infected' part of the root. Also, the cementum on the root is removed so that correct gum attachment can occur back onto the root face. So, the planned removal of cementum could be considered 'damage' ...but in real terms its not ... maybe too much information now ...
Hope that helps

Thank you David. it sounds painful even with the injection.

Hi De,
It shouldn't be a problem at all. If your numbed up for the treatment, you shouldn't feel a thing.

Thank you again David.
I'm not sure the deep cleaning is for me. I don't always feel very well with the numbing injections and my gums are not painful at the moment. but thank you, you are obviously one of the good guys :thumbsup:

Back