• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do I rinse my mouth with epsom salts?

L

Leilia

Are epsom salts the right kind of salt to put into warm water and rinse my mouth with? I wasn't sure if it was this or table salt... but we don't have table salt. So um, is this safe, to use epsom salts? And I'd have to rinse it out and spit, right? I can't swallow it... but it also says not to spit. So what am I supposed to do?!?!?
I just got my teeth out yesterday at about this same time. I'm worried because I just had some mashed potatoes, finally, after being too scared to eat. But now I'm scared that it'll get all infected and stuff now. But I'm also worried about not letting the clot stay in place, and I don't want to rinse and spit if that will ruin things... I'm not sure what to do, really... or if epsom salts are ok. :confused:

Ok I just found some table salt and used that.

I have another question though... is it ok to drink coffee a day after the extraction??

Last edited:
Usually table salt... I don't know if Epsom salts are harmful though. The advice not to spit just refers to spitting very forcefully, of course you can't drink the stuff :). Dry socket is fairly rare and you shouldn't worry about eating soft foods.

Thank you. And coffee is fine? What about with milk in it? I heard that you shouldn't have dairy products for awhile... but I don't know if this is actually true.

No I wouldn't do epsom salt.

I drank coffee but not hot, cooled a bit and I did put milk in mine to cool it and I did ok. I drink decaf but am still a coffeeaholic and need the stuff.

What about with milk in it? I heard that you shouldn't have dairy products for awhile... but I don't know if this is actually true.

What - no ice-cream :scared:??? Don't think the dairy story is true :). Some prescription medications have side effects including nausea, and in those cases it is occasionally recommended to avoid dairy products until the nausea subsides. Nothing to do with the actual tooth removal, though. Coffee is fine, too - just make sure it's not too hot!

Although there is some historical usage of magnesium sulphate on war wounds, I haven't heard of it being used for rinsing after a dental extraction.

I would probably stick to a half to one teaspoon of regular table salt in a cup of warm water to rinse with if you want to try that.

Back