• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do teeth shift after extraction?

E

Elllllie

I have two deep fillings that still hurt—if they end up needing root canals I can’t afford them and the crowns. But I can’t stay in pain either. It would be the last two upper molars. What are the chances of the other teeth shifting? Would I have a hard time eating or talking? I’m really scared of what can happen but I don’t want to keep being in pain..

Last 2 upper molars? There is virtually no chance of any significant drifting of the teeth and it wouldn't make a difference to your chewing or eating.

I had my 2nd upper molar extracted last year and not replaced. (I had wisdom teeth out long ago). I was able to eat without any trouble, and my dentist and oral surgeon both said it wouldn't make any difference with my other teeth. They said teeth tend to shift forward, not backwards, so the last teeth missing don't really change anything.

Back