• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do they usually offer smaller bitewing x-ray films for adults?

E

Erin12110

I have tremendous anxiety, and I've always had issues in the past where it would be a struggle to get those uncomfortable x-rays in my mouth. My mouth is really small and my gag reflex is terrible. I've tried multiple tips that I found online, but they haven't helped at all.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

They might. I haven't personally had that issue, but I read on another forum recently that they sometimes will use the pediatric bitewings for adults if they have severe issues with the adult sized. Also, you may want to look into getting panoramic x-rays, if they are available at your dentist office. Instead of having to deal with bitewings, you bite on a little plastic mouthpiece while the camera rotates around your head.

Good luck!

They might. I haven't personally had that issue, but I read on another forum recently that they sometimes will use the pediatric bitewings for adults if they have severe issues with the adult sized. Also, you may want to look into getting panoramic x-rays, if they are available at your dentist office. Instead of having to deal with bitewings, you bite on a little plastic mouthpiece while the camera rotates around your head.

Good luck!

I've heard that the panoramic x-rays aren't as good for detecting cavities and other issues. Not sure if that's 100% true or not. I would much rather use one of those any day!!

Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah, I'd imagine the bitewings are much, much better for detecting cavities as they can focus on three-four teeth instead of the entire mouth. When the panoramic found my tooth infection, it was already quite advanced, so I'm not sure if it would be as good for smaller issues.

You can always just mention to your dentist something along the lines of "I always seem to gag on those x-rays. Is there anything else we could try?" My first dentist just used to put them in, but my new one attaches them to a metal holder-thing (technical term, I swear! ;)) that they let me hold onto. That helps with me, takes my mind off of it. Also, if your dentist allows it (and I'm sure they will), you could try listening to a CD/MP3/Ipod while they are in your mouth - that way you could focus on the lyrics and not the x-rays.

Good luck!

Yes there are smaller sensors but a problem is that the sensors costs from 5,000-11,000$US dollars each so many dentists won't spend the money to buy pediatric sized sensors unless the see a lot of kids.
You could find a old dentist who still uses film although film takes a lot more radiation than modern digital sensors it still isn't a lot.

Back