• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Do white stains always indicate tooth decay?

S

Sam824

My teeth are fairly white, but I’ve had white-ish gumline stains ever since I was a kid, partly because of braces and partly because I drank too much soda. My dentist has never seemed very concerned about them, except when I was younger and he told me to make sure I’m keeping my front teeth clean. He just called them stains and kind of looked at me funny when I suggested they’re horribly decalcified. I always feel hopeless about my teeth even though I take really good care of them as an adult. Am I doomed or can some stains just be stains?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
White spots are not always a sign of decay. There are many possible causes and contributing factors. I noticed that I was getting white spots on my teeth after using a certain tooth paste and they actually went away when I switched products. I have attached an article written by a dentist that may interest you that talks about all the possible causes of white spots and how to get rid of some of them.

S

Sam824

Thank you, that’s very helpful! Google is honestly a dangerous place for me — always has been — but I feel a little better after reading that and another article where a dentist says that it’s probably fluorosis (and not decalcification) if the white stains occur at the same level, toward the base of the teeth, across multiple teeth, and have been there for a long time with no pain. Hopefully all is well, but my irrational mind just pictured a huge gaping cavity appearing on every stain lol.