• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you : Go it alone or take along supportive company ?

Do you: Go it along or take supportive company ?

• I need and want to be alone.

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I always take a supportive friend or family member.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Both - It depends what it taking place at the appointment.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • I would like to take someone as support, but don't know anyone suitable.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
Carys

Carys

It would be interesting to see how many people, by choice, attend their dental appointments alone, or with a friend/family member as part of their coping strategy. Once you have selected, it would be great if you could just briefly say why you make this choice, and how it helps you. So come on everyone, have a vote, if you are someone who doesn't usually post then please come and join us. :nod:

I don't know what happened there, I pushed the button to always have someone with me, not to go it alone 'cos I couldn't and it is saying that I have already voted???

100% to always have someone with me - may not always like it, and yes I do get embarrassed, but need that person to get me there and through the door!

well in the past I have went alone at times but now my hubby is always with me even though most of the time he stays in the van and waits thats ok do not mind, he might as well be comfortable.

Have I created a dodgy poll ? I really struggled with that, as I thought the 'enter 5 tags' section was the bit where you entered the options and spent about 10 minutes trying to fiddle round with that. How did I also get some italics in the options....most odd.

Have I created a dodgy poll ? I really struggled with that, as I thought the 'enter 5 tags' section was the bit where you entered the options and spent about 10 minutes trying to fiddle round with that. How did I also get some italics in the options....most odd.

It looks fine to me :confused:

Ok, Kimbo, the boss says my poll is fine. Therefore, logic dictates that you were dodgy entering your option. :giggle:

No sorry to say but I'm with Kim on this one, it did the same to me, it says I already voted. Maybe that's what it is suppose to do but usually it thanks you for voting.
I get a lift by car usually but go in on my own, it's bad enough me being in there, nerves and all, without a witness, it would make things a whole lot worse.
It cannot be a pretty sight layed there with your mouth wide open, oh no. I would be too self concious. :star:

WE HAVE SOME NEW SMILIES :ROFLMAO: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :whistle::thumbsup::p LET THE GAMES BEGIN.

I'm ashamed to admit this but I always take my Mother with me. I don't have anybody else no partner and no friends so my Mum is all there is and I would hate to go on my own. I have panic attacks being out of the house anyway having to go to the Dentist on my own would be all too much. As long as I know she is in the Waiting Room, I'm ok.

Hey Julie30 :star: don't feel ashamed taking your mum, we all do whatever it takes, the important thing is that we get there and have the treatment we need. :welldone: you do very well getting there if you get panic attacks going out of the house :star: you are dealing with two fears, you should be really proud of yourself :cheer::cheer::cheer:

By the way; could someone tell me what this one means :ROFLMAO: please

I just absolutely have to go on my own even though I don't have that choice yet. :mad: I hate someone seeing me in a panicked/scared state, especially my own family. I totally agree with carys and kitkat, I don't like anyone following me even into the waiting room. When I had my teeth pulled my mom went with me and the only reason the dentist completed the procedure was because my mom had gone with me. I would've stopped him too like for 4 or 5 times but I didn't want to show my mom that I was in pain, uncomfortable, or scared either. I can't believe these new smiles they are so goofy. :p

It let me vote with no problem but have never had issues voting before! :)

Anyway my answer as most you probably know from other threads is and always will be ALONE! 100% I wouldn't maybe mind going as a support to another person but I do not receive support well in the dental environment. I'm embarrassed when my dentist acknowledges my fear let alone someone who sees me on a regular/daily basis! I think I'm just normally very in control and dentistry just puts me into such a state that I'm busy enough trying to manage myself...another person would just be a bother to me and one more person I have to act "normal" in front of. I don't admit my dental fears to people outside of DFC ...and my dentist...I treat it as one of my deepest, darkest secrets! :censored:

By the way; could someone tell me what this one means :ROFLMAO: please

Wikipedia to the rescue :helpme::

"LOL, an abbreviation for laughing out loud, or laugh out loud, is a common element of Internet slang... It is one of many initialisms for expressing bodily reactions, in particular laughter, as text, including initialisms for more emphatic expressions of laughter such as "laugh(ing) my ass off", and ROTFL or ROFL ("roll(ing) on the floor laughing")."

I thought when I asked, I may well be kicking myself for asking this one, but no I wouldn't have got it in a thousand years :ROFLMAO: It is one to be used with caution, oh and I love this one :silly: like you said, made to fit me.

THANK YOU for explaining :star:;):p:cheer:

Interesting, so, so far that is more who 'go it alone'.

Can I just add something, as Carole was saying, I am not attaching any judgement to any of the options ! There is no need for ANYONE to say they are embarrased about taking their whole family and half their neighbours (if that helps LOL ?!?).....it was more an interest in seeing how divergent people are in their choices. Different things work for different people !!!

I really need to be alone, so I can try to psych myself up, stop shaking and remember to breathe! Hopefully, by the time I get called in, I have managed to "detach" my mind slightly, if that makes any sense at all! I don't even like meeting anyone I know in the waiting room and having to speak to them, purely because it puts me off my mental plan of action and then when I do get called in, I think, "No, I'm not ready!" Being phobic is very complicated and time-consuming:waiting:!

Isn't it just, I like to just sit quiet but I am lucky that so far in the 8 months that I have been at my dental practice, when I have gone, we go straight in when we get there, no waiting around, which I thought was very good. :)

I always go alone. I find it easier to express my fears / disscus my worries if I am alone I find it less embarrising, as I am quite a private person.

I seem to be in the minority here, and I find that really odd. I am so in awe of you all who go alone. I wouldn't want anyone in with me when I am having treatment, that would really freak me out. When I went to the first dentist, he left the door open, and there were all sorts of people passing by and looking at my jelly state wibbly wobbling all over the place in THAT chair - hated it!

I just wouldn't be able to drive myself there, and if by some miracle I did, I certainly wouldn't get through the door. I was unable to make an appointment until tomorrow, because I had no-one to 'hold my hand' to go in, and the lovely receptionist said well if you can get here, sit in the car and one of us will come and get you. Such a lovely gesture, but I still wouldn't be able to do it. I also have to wait in the car right up until the last minute, because I can't stand to be in the waiting room.

I just don't get m hubby tho' as he is coming with me tomorrow to do paperwork etc, but he had asked my daughter to come along as well, without checking this was alright with me first!! I have since had a conversation with my daughter and said I just wanted hubby to come, and she is fine with that.

I seem to be in the minority here, and I find that really odd. I am so in awe of you all who go alone.

Don't be in awe - we're just a sad bunch of stiff-upper-lipped saddos who don't want any witnesses around :p...

I must say I'm surprised by the result (though the statistics may well change once more people vote). Anyone for a round of karaoke??

:dance::dance::dance::dance2::butterfly::dance2::dance::dance::dance:

(the one in the middle is carole!!)

Last edited:
Kimbo - I think in the early days after years of avoidance/extreme fear, it is perfectly understandable that you would want a support person - in 5 years time, you will probably be happy to go alone.
The posters who have already answered are not at your early stage or never quite were.
Drummerswife was similar to you and I can think of many many more who no longer post.

Back