• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you : Go it alone or take along supportive company ?

Do you: Go it along or take supportive company ?

• I need and want to be alone.

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I always take a supportive friend or family member.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Both - It depends what it taking place at the appointment.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • I would like to take someone as support, but don't know anyone suitable.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
I know, I am very quiet when I am going to the dentist, I suppose you don't want people to see how afraid you are, you feel you have to put a show of being alright on. I hope you can manage to sort it out so that you can have the wisdom tooth seen to. Could you get a taxi there and back, just this once? That way you don't need to make conversation or put a show on you can just sit quiet in the back, and going back home you can do the same. :hug5:

Unfortunately for IV sedation you have to have someone there to be responsible for you. So getting a taxi wouldn't help any. That's the part I have trouble with, not that they will see my scared, but that they are in some way responsible and have some control over what happens to me. Daft I know. :redface:

I see, you have to have someone you really trust in that case, I now see your problem. I hope you can get around this, I didn't realise how groggy you would be, how long do you stay in this state for. Could they give you something to bring you round a bit quicker. It isn't daft I wouldn't like it either.
I am thinking of you, good luck for tomorrow :butterfly:

um i would like to go alone because it will help me to become more brave in my self and become a better person it won't be easy but i know that in myself i can and will do it:thumbsup:

I voted for "both". I usually go alone if I am going for my 6 month or if I know what to expect from the dental visit.
When I went to the dentist on May 21st, my husband went with me because I was in a lot of pain and I didn't know what sort of procedure was going to take place (had a root canal.....first one, so I was glad my husband was there).

I go on my own for checks ups but have to have someone there for IV sedation

I always prefer to go alone. I even decided that having my wisdom teeth extracted (2 impacted) with only local anesthetic was less terrifying than having to have someone come with me. I think that if someone were with me I would feel like I have to take care of them as well as myself. Also, when I go to the dentist, I have to use all of my energy and concentration to manage my anxiety to keep from panic -- especially in he waiting room. At the dentist office (and on my way there) I'm usually not at all capable of having reasonable conversations and I would hate for anyone to see me in that state. It's bad enough the people in the dental office see me like that. Usually, I'm a fairly confident, talkative person... so, I just think it would be too weird for someone who knows me to see me in a state that is the total opposite.

Even tho' for me the worst is over - I still couldn't contemplate going alone - how daft is that - I don't talk much, can't stand the radio on and my legs start their own little dance as we get closer, usually have my arms folded when I walk through the door, and sit in the same seat - unlike last time when someone else was sitting in it, so I jumped into the very first seat nearest the door!!

I'm another very private person who finds it essential to be alone. I don't tend to get too stressed these days but the idea of even my very nearest and dearest seeing my wobbles, or even trying to make small talk in the waiting room is too much for me to bear

Interestingly though, when I had extractions in hospital under GA, I had to have someone with me and my OH was just brilliant that day :star:. Still don't like him coming to even the most routine of dental appointments though, which probably says more about me than him :giggle:

I actually have an appointment in two weeks time and for various reasons I was struggling to book a suitable time (can't take any more time off work at the moment) so against my better judgement have booked a slot that I will only be able to attend if OH drives me there after finishing work. Now as the day approaches, I am getting more nervous about him being there than the actual appointment itself. I guess part of the reason is that OH and I go to different dental practices so my place is very much my space and it seems weird to have it invaded by other areas/people in my life. Fingers crossed it will all be okay :cool:

I always demand to be alone, unless I can not drive due to any medications I have had.:hic:

I guess part of the reason is that OH and I go to different dental practices so my place is very much my space and it seems weird to have it invaded by other areas/people in my life.

I feel EXACTLY the same. My mom wanted to go to the place I go to and I yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Something about it being a private thing for me... Not exactly sure

Reading a post in the Support threads just got me thinking about this topic again and I think I've discovered why I NEED to go alone. Aside from my fear always being a big secret, I was forced to go by my mother through my childhood and teenage years and she was always very unsupportive and did not understand. So every time I've been accompanied I've been made to feel even more stressed and out of control and I think I may even associate someone accompanying me with negative experiences. By going alone, I'm getting as far away from recreating those negative experiences as possible and I just feel a lot more empowered and in control. This may be the case for others as well.

My mum and I are dentist buddies, we are both scared so made a pact to go together, our dentist makes out appointments the same time, my mums treatment is finished now (she got full denture) but she'll still be coming with me. I'd chicken out if I had to go alone :frantic:

"Both - It depends what it taking place at the appointment."

I went with my :love:BF to my first appointment, I'd also chicken out if I had to go alone. Next time I will have an RCT, that's OK and also the other appointments -getting fillings / crowns / - these ones I can manage alone.
But I already asked my BF to drive me when I'll have the wisdom tooth extraction - although I won't be sedated...Anyway, I am much more nervous about wizzie than the other stuff so it's better having him :love: in the waiting area :)

I much prefer to go it alone because I don't like others seeing my fear but if I am being sedated my partner comes with me.

I've said go alone but I would take someone as far as the waiting room. I wouldn't want someone in the treatment room as I would feel really awkward with them watching me!

When I had to face my biggest fears recently, I did take my partner along for support, but went in alone. However, it was nice to have him waiting for me afterwards.

If I am having sedation, I usually hire a nurse to take me and then look after me for a few hours afterwards. Thankfully, having conquered most of my phobia now, this option is no longer routinely needed (and a lot of money saved for nicer things into the bargain!)

I don't even want anyone to know I'm going, never mind come with me ?

Alone, definitely! I don't like the idea of someone coming with me, I feel like it makes it all a bigger deal in my head, when I want the experience to be as normal and ordinary as possible, since other people can do it without much thought, I try to create the same scenario for myself, even if I feel wildly anxious.

I have to have someone come with Me as I can't drive to the appt. I hate it.

Back