• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you like going to the dentist alone or with company?

• I like going to the dentist with my children

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
L

Little Rachel

Re: Do you like going to the dentist alone or with compagny?

I always go to the dentist alone, as i find going to the dentist a personal experience. I feel more comfortable alone with my dentist and no one watching.

Do you like going to the dentist alone or with compagny?

I also go alone. I get so anxious and I don't want anyone to see me that way -- it's bad enough that the dentist and his staff see me in that state. I'm normally a highly functioning, competent, articulate person -- not so much at the dentist. I'm also a natural caretaker and I find that, when I'm at the dentist (and even on the way there), I need to devote all of my energy and focus on keeping my anxiety under control enough to make it through my appointment.

I go alone. I think that by talking to the dentist one-on-one is easier thank talking to the dentist with another person in the room. Although at first you will feel more vulnerable, at least you don't have to act brave whereas by bringing another person with you, one may feel inclined to "act brave" or "tough it out" just to prove something to the friend/partner'parent'sibling' whomever.

I prefer bringing someone with me because when I'm by myself I tend to cry, get irrational & have even made it all the way to the office & called them while standing directly outside the office to say I was "sick" just to not have to go. When I'm with another person, I don't & won't ever behave that way. I have never let people see me cry (friends, family etc.) nor have I let them see me scared, so I tend to "suck it up" & put on my "brave face" so no one sees me as the way I am when alone.

When I head in for dental work, I prefer to have mom with me. If it's an adjustment it tend to be a solo trek but she was in with me a couple times. That was REALLY nice with the extra long appointment I had once.

It was one week after the second round of extractions for my lower mouth and I needed a second adjustment for my bottom partials. Between the adjustment attempts, drilling a couple dimples to get at least try and get the new ones to grab on better, and the molds for the new ones, I was in the chair for an hour!!!

I have never had the option to bring a friend as I don't have a friend to bring :giggle: But if I did I would! I'm a big scardey cat and I feel like if someone was there the dentist would less likely screw up because there would be another witness! I know, I sound crazy.

However, I wouldn't want anyone else there with me otherwise because it would feel awkward for me if it was someone other than a best friend.

After that one visit to "Dr. Happy Pants" I never go to the dentist without my husband, and he is always right there. Poor man held my hand through 28 extractions, over a one year period. He deserves a metal.

My husband brings me to appointments but he doesn't come in the room with me. He is either in the waiting room or in the car.

I prefer to go on my own even though I get scared every appointment I go to every three months. The last time someone went with me when I did not go on my own was in 2010 when we had bad weather in the middle of winter.

I don't want anyone having a go at the dentist whilst I am there.

I prefer to go alone. The one time my husband accompanied me, I felt more nervous than usual.

I prefer to go alone. I'm embarrassed by my anxiety which only surfaces in the dental environment, any where else i'm fine. My husband has come along on occasions but i he doesn't understand the anxiety I get about dentistry. He makes me feel a little silly about it, not intentionally. But I can feel his lack of empathy!

I'm generally calmer when I go along to appointments on my own. :)

I prefer going with my husband. He HAD to be there during my first visit - I refused to do it without him (and it was great to have him hold my hand, talk to me, and wipe away my tears).

Now, I can usually go by myself... but I don't mind having him come and sit in the waiting room (he doesn't mind either - he will bring a book to read or watch TV).

I have a procedure coming up that mentally I don't know how I'm going to go through with it. Hubby can't go with me, but is getting off early to be home when I will come home from the procedure and he is taking the next day off to take care of me.

I will talk to my Mom about my dental stuff - since she's had a lot of dental work done, but I only want my husband to come with me.

My mum took me to the dentist last time because I saw so scare, she said she would go with me from now own, and my dad retires from work he will go with me instead, so I don't get bullied and scared.

I prefer to go alone. I don't like anyone seeing me get freaked out in the chair. I feel ashamed even have the dentist and their assistant see me act like that. Last time I went to the dentist I was shaking from fear and anxiety.

I go alone! That's for sure! ;)

I usually go to the dentist with my mother but sit in the chair alone. It's mostly out of embarrassment. :(

I have to have company so they can help me thru tthe appointment without backing out of it

I'm a bit of a mix. The two times I have gone this year (after many years away), I have gone by myself and I think that was probably the best then. They were for a tour and the evaluation. Friday, I go for extractions and fillings and my wife is coming to drive me home. I'm glad she'll be in the building but I think I would probably feel better if she stays in the waiting area. Just knowing she's close is a comforting thought.

My Mum or Dad go with me now even though I am adult, I get embarassed about my teeth, also can pick up tips how to make it easier for me to clean my teeth with mirrors and lighting. I cannot see what I am doing properly because of a small mouth, and overcrowding problem. I am scared to eat alot of things

Back