• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you need to be knocked out for a wisdom tooth to be extracted

J

Jay45169

Hi guys ...just wondering ...iam goin to the dentist tomorrow for some moulds to be taken and a chat about x-rays....... But iam having abit of trouble with my left upper wisdom tooth massive cavity in it and he knows , think I'll ask him if he can extract it when iam there tomorrow at some stage if when heCan do it ,, don't want to have a miserable Xmas
.... Went to the dentist for the first time in 30 years on Wednesday..

Do you have to be knocked-out to have your wisdom tooth removed ? Can you just have your gum numbed ???
Have a fear of being put to sleep tbh ... anxiety has started again ?

You CAN be put to sleep for it, but you usually do not have to be. You can just get a shot like with normal dental work. But it might not even need to be extracted at all. Only your dentist could tell you though.

I really understand the miserable Christmas thing. I want to cancel Christmas!!!

You CAN be put to sleep for it, but you usually do not have to be. You can just get a shot like with normal dental work. But it might not even need to be extracted at all. Only your dentist could tell you though.

I really understand the miserable Christmas thing. I want to cancel Christmas!!!
Thanks ....He told me on Wednesday after the examination it needs to be extracted due to large cavity .... Tbh just want to be numbed for the extraction then ... Have fear of being put to sleep tbh ..... I'll ask him tomorrow about taking it out asap...so I can at least enjoy Xmas with the family and be dreading it with a bad tooth ....

Thanks ....He told me on Wednesday after the examination it needs to be extracted due to large cavity .... Tbh just want to be numbed for the extraction then ... Have fear of being put to sleep tbh ..... I'll ask him tomorrow about taking it out asap...so I can at least enjoy Xmas with the family and be dreading it with a bad tooth ....

As far as I understand, regular dentists in the UK (sorry, I'm in France) don't even put you to sleep in their surgery anymore. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Outside of very rare complex cases, you never HAVE to be put to sleep for dentistry. Even if he does suggest it, say that you are more afraid of being put to sleep than being treated while awake. I did have experiences with dentists that are eager to put you to sleep or pass you on to someone who will because you are anxious and they don't want to deal with that. But it sounds like your dentist is not like that, I'm mostly mentioning it because this is probably where you heard that "have to be put to sleep" thing. When someone says that they "had to be put to sleep" it was most likely for their mind/their anxiety not because of the complexity of the procedure.

I hope that your dentist can get you in quickly and get rid of that tooth for you.

As far as I understand, regular dentists in the UK (sorry, I'm in France) don't even put you to sleep in their surgery anymore. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Outside of very rare complex cases, you never HAVE to be put to sleep for dentistry. Even if he does suggest it, say that you are more afraid of being put to sleep than being treated while awake. I did have experiences with dentists that are eager to put you to sleep or pass you on to someone who will because you are anxious and they don't want to deal with that. But it sounds like your dentist is not like that, I'm mostly mentioning it because this is probably where you heard that "have to be put to sleep" thing. When someone says that they "had to be put to sleep" it was most likely for their mind/their anxiety not because of the complexity of the procedure.

I hope that your dentist can get you in quickly and get rid of that tooth for you.
Thanks for that ..really appreciate it ..... I do get alot of anxiety tbh..due to the 30 year gap I've had from the dentist ...but I'd rather be awake for my work tbh

Thanks again I hope he can do it aswell tbh ...tho The anxiety has started ? again ..I know it's not going to go away quickly or maybe ever .. 2 appointments in a week & maybe a 3rd for my tooth .... Far from the 30 years I've stayed away ???

Best of luck for your appointment tomorrow Jay45169 ? ?!

Thanks ? means alot that ....... anxiety thoughts and fear have begun tbh

What time are you in tomorrow Jay?
Just think how relieved you’ll feel when this tooth is gone and it’s onto Christmas. The build up is always the worst. You can do it! We are behind you!!

What time are you in tomorrow Jay?
Just think how relieved you’ll feel when this tooth is gone and it’s onto Christmas. The build up is always the worst. You can do it! We are behind you!!
1:30 tomorrow Katie ? ?..trying to think that way ...this time tomorrow be all done & as you say look forward and enjoy Xmas with a beer .. hopefully goes quick and don't feel anything ?
And thank you Katie ..really appreciate it x

1:30 tomorrow Katie ? ?..trying to think that way ...this time tomorrow be all done & as you say look forward and enjoy Xmas with a beer .. hopefully goes quick and don't feel anything ?
And thank you Katie ..really appreciate it x

Yep this time tomorrow it’ll be all done. Are they doing anything else tomorrow? Hopefully you’ll be in and out quickly! I think you should be fine getting numbed up! It’s at the top isn’t it, I have trouble with my bottom ones numbing but top seems easier always ?

Yep this time tomorrow it’ll be all done. Are they doing anything else tomorrow? Hopefully you’ll be in and out quickly! I think you should be fine getting numbed up! It’s at the top isn’t it, I have trouble with my bottom ones numbing but top seems easier always ?
No just the top left wisdom tooth tomorrow Katie...tbh i think it will break not in great condition with a big cavity in it so we'll see ?what he does ?.ye praying for a quick extraction..& home quick .. ye just don't want to feel any pain during it tbh ...don't mind feeling abit of pain after tho have pain killers at the ready

No just the top left wisdom tooth tomorrow Katie...tbh i think it will break not in great condition with a big cavity in it so we'll see ?what he does ?.ye praying for a quick extraction..& home quick .. ye just don't want to feel any pain during it tbh ...don't mind feeling abit of pain after tho have pain killers at the ready

Yes we’ll see what happens. I always think worse case scenario. It might be an easy job so let’s hope for that. I’ve only ever had teeth out when I was a teenager for braces but I didn’t feel pain just pressure. Hoping it goes well!

Yes we’ll see what happens. I always think worse case scenario. It might be an easy job so let’s hope for that. I’ve only ever had teeth out when I was a teenager for braces but I didn’t feel pain just pressure. Hoping it goes well!
Thanks Katie x ??

Hi Jay45169, I had both upper wisdom teeth out during the summer (on separate days) whilst I was pregnant. I'm a very nervous patient but due to the pregnancy I could only get local anaesthetic. I'm not exaggerating when I say the teeth literally popped out both times. Once numbed I couldn't feel anything at all just a slight sensation of pressure but it wasn't at all sore. I thought the dentist was just getting her tools in place in my mouth when she suddenly showed me the tooth a few seconds later in all it's decayed glory! Whole thing took less than 10 seconds. Second tooth took less than 20 seconds. Was a bit sore for a few days afterwards each time but didn't need pain relief.

Hi Jay45169, I had both upper wisdom teeth out during the summer (on separate days) whilst I was pregnant. I'm a very nervous patient but due to the pregnancy I could only get local anaesthetic. I'm not exaggerating when I say the teeth literally popped out both times. Once numbed I couldn't feel anything at all just a slight sensation of pressure but it wasn't at all sore. I thought the dentist was just getting her tools in place in my mouth when she suddenly showed me the tooth a few seconds later in all it's decayed glory! Whole thing took less than 10 seconds. Second tooth took less than 20 seconds. Was a bit sore for a few days afterwards each time but didn't need pain relief.
Crossing my fingers I'll be the same with my upper one tomorrow Tiny.. but I've a large cavity in mine and hole/crack along the gumline so iam thinking it'll be abit harder ...hope not tho tbh ...and thanks for your reply Tony much appreciated ?.. hopefully iam in and out tomorrow , that's all I want ... Anxious abit now

Mines was badly decayed too. Don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of the ease of extraction. Hope all goes well. Let us know how you get on!

Mines was badly decayed too. Don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of the ease of extraction. Hope all goes well. Let us know how you get on!
Thanks tiny .... No sleep , anxiety through the roof at this point ...don't go until 3 hrs ... Mad this how it grips you ???

Good luck for today! If it helps: it really doesn't make much difference whether the tooth is decayed or not (decayed is even better, you maybe can imagine how difficult it may be to try to get out a super healthy strong tooth!). Also, remember: it's your teeth and you decide what will happen. If you like to have numbing, go for it. If you feel like you would like to get more numbing, go for it to. You and your dentist are a team.

Btw. I had all 4 wisdoms out with just a local. My anxiety was the worst part. The teeth came out in 5 minutes, I couldn't believe when they told me we were done..

Good luck for today! If it helps: it really doesn't make much difference whether the tooth is decayed or not (decayed is even better, you maybe can imagine how difficult it may be to try to get out a super healthy strong tooth!). Also, remember: it's your teeth and you decide what will happen. If you like to have numbing, go for it. If you feel like you would like to get more numbing, go for it to. You and your dentist are a team.

Btw. I had all 4 wisdoms out with just a local. My anxiety was the worst part. The teeth came out in 5 minutes, I couldn't believe when they told me we were done..
Ye just getting injection to numb Enarete... Hopefully be quick and easy ?thanks really appreciate that?... Wondering is it ok to take a couple of painkillers this morning ..just to settle my stomach and nerves ... There co-codamol ... appointment is in 3 hrs

Good luck today Jay45169, :cheer2:

Back