• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you really get used to dentures?

S

Strahan

Hi. I had my last four upper teeth pulled and a full upper immediate denture installed Wednesday. If I go back in time, I'd cancel my appointment and just save for implants. I'm so depressed; I hate this big piece of plastic in my mouth. It feels weird, I can't swallow quite right, eating is strange, I can't talk properly and it makes me salivate like crazy.

Everyone tells me I'll get used to it. That's scant comfort now, but just out of curiosity - those of you with upper dentures; how long did it take you from getting it until you didn't notice it anymore? Or is that BS and you never really get used to it? How long did it take to retrain yourself to speak properly? Of course, everyone will be different but I'm just curious. I desperately want to see some light at the end of this tunnel. I got a quote for upper implants, they said $16,000 to $22,000 for a denture that anchors to implants (but doesn't have a full palate cover) so that effectively torpedoes that idea. I mean, I actually do have about $18,000 in the bank but I'm in the end stages of buying a house so $13,000 of it will be going to closing costs. If I knew I could get out of it, and that I could stay where I'm living, I would be quite tempted to just get implants but I don't think it's gonna be possible so implants won't be practical, at least not for a few years. Especially since buying this home quadruples my housing expenses so saving will take awhile.

*siiiiiiiiiiiiigh* I've been taking it out a lot, just going without. At least I can speak properly then. I know I need to keep it in so I can adjust to it, but it's really hard to do that. I also keep telling myself that in 4-6 months my gums will be done healing and recessing then I'll get a "proper" denture, maybe that will be more acceptable. No idea. I just feel so depressed right now having to deal with this. Especially knowing this decision is not one you can undo - once the teeth are gone, they are gone.

I only had four upper teeth for several years, so I figure maybe I can just get four implants first then save more and get another two, then another two. Once I hit eight I think I can stop. I've been chewing on my gums for years, they are hard as rocks and work fine. Front incisors/canines would be enough to look normal (well, the first stage of only four will be weird looking but still way better than what I had).

I dunno. I guess I'm just hoping that I will, some day, come to accept my denture.

Hi Strahan, sorry to hear how hard this is. :( I could also imagine that immediate dentures are not as comfortable as your permanent will be as soon as you are healed after the extractions. I have no experience myself, but there is a good FAQ here:

Hopefully, it can serve you as a first aid till someone experienced replies. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get used to your dentures as soon as possible.

Yes, you do get used to them ! It may take a month or two to become totally at ease with them but it will happen. In the meantime :-

1) Make sure they fit properly and get your dentist to adjust them if they don't.

2) Wear them as much as possible - no taking them out every five minutes. But make sure to take them out at bedtime obviously.

3) Use adhesive !! Don't be like my Dad and hold them in by willpower alone. The adhesive helps to cushion them and also dissuades you from taking them out all the time.

4) Practise eating and speaking as much as you can - you'll get better at it !

Hi. I had my last four upper teeth pulled and a full upper immediate denture installed Wednesday. If I go back in time, I'd cancel my appointment and just save for implants. I'm so depressed; I hate this big piece of plastic in my mouth. It feels weird, I can't swallow quite right, eating is strange, I can't talk properly and it makes me salivate like crazy.

Everyone tells me I'll get used to it. That's scant comfort now, but just out of curiosity - those of you with upper dentures; how long did it take you from getting it until you didn't notice it anymore? Or is that BS and you never really get used to it? How long did it take to retrain yourself to speak properly? Of course, everyone will be different but I'm just curious. I desperately want to see some light at the end of this tunnel. I got a quote for upper implants, they said $16,000 to $22,000 for a denture that anchors to implants (but doesn't have a full palate cover) so that effectively torpedoes that idea. I mean, I actually do have about $18,000 in the bank but I'm in the end stages of buying a house so $13,000 of it will be going to closing costs. If I knew I could get out of it, and that I could stay where I'm living, I would be quite tempted to just get implants but I don't think it's gonna be possible so implants won't be practical, at least not for a few years. Especially since buying this home quadruples my housing expenses so saving will take awhile.

*siiiiiiiiiiiiigh* I've been taking it out a lot, just going without. At least I can speak properly then. I know I need to keep it in so I can adjust to it, but it's really hard to do that. I also keep telling myself that in 4-6 months my gums will be done healing and recessing then I'll get a "proper" denture, maybe that will be more acceptable. No idea. I just feel so depressed right now having to deal with this. Especially knowing this decision is not one you can undo - once the teeth are gone, they are gone.

I only had four upper teeth for several years, so I figure maybe I can just get four implants first then save more and get another two, then another two. Once I hit eight I think I can stop. I've been chewing on my gums for years, they are hard as rocks and work fine. Front incisors/canines would be enough to look normal (well, the first stage of only four will be weird looking but still way better than what I had).

I dunno. I guess I'm just hoping that I will, some day, come to accept my denture.

So with careful planning you might be able to stage in implants over a few years but really is best is to save money and plan all the treatment in a short period. healthier for the implants

Thanks all. I really need to stop taking them out all the time. I haven't worn it save for an hour in the last two days, lol. Part of it is my gums still hurt from the extractions. I think I'm gonna baby myself a little and wait until the extraction site heals over before I start wearing my denture 16x7.

It is a bit better; the doctor that quoted me for implants was a prosthodontist who also specializes in dentures. They have their own lab in house and everything. After I said I can't do the cost of implants, he asked me to come back and let him check my mouth out. He spent ~45 minutes testing the fit, grinding, testing fit, grinding over and over. When I arrived at his office, putting the denture in hurt. When I left, putting it in was totally painless and it felt fine. It actually has superb suction just naturally, such that it's difficult to remove it after an hour+ of wearing it. I had to take a paper towel to grab the teeth because when wet with saliva, I couldn't generate enough downward pulling power to break the seal between denture and palate (using no Polident).

I kept a log back in 09 when I had a molar and canine pulled; according to that, it took ~10 weeks for the sockets to fill and and be mostly smoothed over. So ten weeks from last Wed I'll go ahead and dedicate myself to wearing it full time. For now I'm gonna wimp out and just baby myself, lol

Thanks again for the input all. I have a bit more hope now :)

Back