• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you remember?(IV Sedation)

A

andotro

Hello all!
I’ve been lurking for sometime and still my anxiety is getting the best of me. I’m 24 and I haven’t been to the dentist since I was 14 mostly because of bad experiences as a child. I have extreme dental phobia.( I embarrassingly cried getting simple X-rays just 3 days ago) I have to have all 4 wisdom teeth out plus 2 others that can’t be saved due to decaying and recurring abscesses that I just kept treating at home and ignoring. I’m scheduled to have this done on June 1st with IV Sedation.
My real question is did you remember any of the procedure at all when you “woke up”? Did it really just seem like you were knocked out? I am absolutely terrified that I will remember it and know what’s going on the whole time. I have had general anesthesia before to have my tonsils removed, so I’m hoping it’s like that where I have absolutely no idea what happened. I’m am so so scared but I need to have this done because every other week I think I’m dying from mouth cancer or a blood infection stemming from my teeth because I’ve let them get so bad. Please tell me your experiences!!

P.s. If you had an bad experience I’m asking you please don’t tell me about it because I don’t want to scare myself even more as I’m already not sleeping at night over this ??

Thank you in advance to any who reply!

The more important question isn't do you remember anything but do you remember anything bad?

Hi andotro, good to hear that you have managed to see a dentist, well done for that! :)

I do not have experiences with iv sedation myself, but have read loads of experiences here on the forum and all I have seen were amazing relieved posts from happy members. For the most of them it was ‚waking up‘, no memories whatsoever, for some of them it was like ‚remembering tiny glimpses but being sooooooooo very very very relaxed that it didn‘t bother‘. The thing to consider when it comes to that tiny glimpses is that iv sedation makes you feel incredibly calm and relaxed so that no matter if you remember something or not, you will be fine.

If you talk to your dentist about this fear, he might be able to make sure to adjust the dose of the medication in a way that prevents you from having memories.

Hope this helped as a kind of first aid, I am sure you will get replies from experienced members soon too.

All the best wishes and keep us posted:)

I agree that the dose is key. I've had IV sedation about 10 times and it has been slightly different each time. Sometimes, I don't remember a thing, and others, I vaguely recall "waking up" (but in a dopey state), and could hear the dentist/doctor talking to the nurse about the procedure. I would then fade out again and then fully wake up later when the surgery was complete. NEVER did I ever experience anything bad, but just half awake and then fully asleep again quickly. If you can ask your dentist to make sure that you get a strong enough dose, you won't even have a chance to half wake up in the middle. I honestly didn't care that I did, so never would feel the need to avoid that. In a way, since I never experienced anything bad in those moments, I actually liked hearing what they were talking about, lol.

I also really commend you for taking the courage and initiative and going even though you are scared.. I think the defination of bravery is fearing something but doing it anyways.. so really commend you! Dental is scary and you are among the best of the dental phobics here :).. I have gotten Iv sedation for other procedures but not dental but per the posts here seem to be the same drugs used .. I was very scared but each time I literally felt nothing after the IV went in and didn't remember anything... it felt very peaceful and warm feeling and like a relief when I awoke. I had a few times for an upper endoscopy which I told the Dr .. I cannot..... be any bit aware or awake and was very afraid.. he said "I will make sure to give you the right does you will not know anything.. and I really didn't.. :).. You will be relieved of so much anxiety after too.

Thank you all for your replies. I do feel a tiny bit better but I know I’ll be a wreck come June 1st when I actually have to go. I hope it truly is like you have described. The fear of not knowing is killing me

I do feel a tiny bit better but I know I’ll be a wreck come June 1st when I actually have to go.

Well.. you will and sadly there is not much you can do about that one. If it helps we have all been there and survived - you will be surprised how easy the procedure went and you will afterwards probably wonder why all the anxiety, but I would say that that‘s just the life of a phobic.

I can only recommend you to read success stories and encouraging posts here on the forum or writing a journal or to do whatever activity could distract you from the anxiety.

I had it six months ago for my wisdom teeth.

I couldnt remember a thing. It went totally fine.

My my thinking was a bit hazy for a few days, but that was the only “bad” outcome.

You’ll do great. Keep us posted.

Thanks I’m glad all of your dental procedures went well. Mine is coming up in four days and I still have a good amount of anxiety but honestly not as much as I usually have for impending dental work. I’ve been relatively calm and actually able to sleep at night which has never happened in the past within a week of a dental appointment. I’ll be sure to reply with how my surgery goes. I wish it was 12 noon on Friday already and this was all over lol. Ttyl.

Good luck!

You’ll do great.

I’ll look forward to your reports. It’ll go great.

Please report back on your experience! Good luck!

I did it!

Well my appointment was at 10am this morning and it was great. I got to the office and squared away the payment information and then was told they would be ready in a few minutes. That was the worst part, having to wait for them to call me back I just wanted to run out. I was crying and really shaky but When they did about 5 minutes later the dental assistant was very sweet and understanding. She took me back to the room and talked to me the whole time, about the procedure and then small talk to just keep me calm which worked. She put the Blood pressure cuff on me and laid me back and gave me some oxygen to help me catch my breath.Then the surgeon came in and was very polite and understanding and explained what he was going to be doing on last time. Then they put a rubber band on my arm and like a arm restraint to keep my elbow straight? I’m guessing so I didn’t mess the ice up while I was sedated. Then he put the IV in and it honestly didn’t hurt just a small pinch barely noticeable. He then had me open my mouth to put a block in to keep it open and he said he was going to start the sedative now. He injected the medicine into the IV and maybe a minute passed and I remember thinking oh no I’m not feeling any different! Next thing I know I’m waking up and the nurse is changing the gauze and my hubby was in the room with me. It honestly felt like 2 seconds I don’t even remember falling “asleep” It was wonderful! I’m so glad I went through with it. The only annoying thing for me now is how numb my tongue and lips still are lol. I guess it’s a good thing but still annoying cause I just want to have a drink!

Back