• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you think I need root canals on BOTH of my top front teeth?

K

kennethpetro

I recently got an infection on the root of my front right tooth. I went to a new dentist for the first time who had me take amoxicillin to get rid of the infection. After a week's worth of amoxicillin it was healed and I went back to the dentist for a consultation. That's when he recommended that I get root canals on both of my top front teeth. The dentist said it's better to do both now in case the infection spreads, but I’ve never had pain on my top left front tooth and the x-ray doesn't show any infection either.

Some additional details: My top left front tooth (the one that's not infected) is slightly chipped...Last year, I had small cavity removed which was located directly the middle of both top front teeth. My dentist used epoxy to fill in the drilled out tooth & that's what actually chipped off. I know I need a root canal on my infected right front tooth & I'm having the chipped tooth fixed, so I'll also be getting crowns on both of my front teeth so they match perfectly.

I also want to mention that I've recently changed my dental insurance from PPO to DMO & my previous PPO dentist (whom I've been going to for the past 15+ years) warned me about DMO dentists as they tend to perform unnecessary procedures to over-charge the insurance company.

Is this common? I've never heard of having a root canal performed on a tooth that is perfectly fine....no cavity, no pain & no infection! Then again, I've never had a root canal on a top front tooth before. I don't care about how much more it will cost to have two root canals opposed to just one. I just don't want to have an unnecessary root canal performed on a tooth that's perfectly fine.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

I'm not a dentist, but it does sound a little fishy if he's not able to give you a clear explanation as to why a RCT in a healthy tooth is indicated. I wonder if he's doing the RCT (and will say that this tooth is also infected) in order to justify payment for the 2nd crown to the DMO (as they likely would not cover a crown that it strictly for cosmetic purposes). I personally would never allow a dentist to perform a RCT on a healthy tooth.

Get a second opinion but don't say your seen a dentist already. Just say you got pain in that tooth and can they see anything

I agree with the previous poster. Get a second opinion.

If the infection was cleared up and there is no abscess present then there is absolutely no reason to gut healthy teeth. RCT is a least resort treatment.

If the teeth are asymptomatic then leave them alone but DEFINITELY get a second opinion.

Hi,
I would ask the dentist the reason why you would need both teeth root treated?
Did he test the tooth with cold? A normal root canal should feel sensitive when you place a piece of ice in front of the tooth. If you feel an intense cold sensation shortly after applying this to the tooth then it means the pulp (nerve) is normal and you don't need root canal on this tooth.

However, if it does not respond to cold then there is a high chance that the nerve is dead and it may lead to an abscess in the future, hence possibly the reason for recommending the root canal.

Back