• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does 6 months wait for upper denture seem normal? (USA)

C

Chromashadows

I was told by the dentist that they will extract the top teeth. 3 months after that when it's healed they will do a casting for the denture, then 3 months later the denture will be ready. This means 6 months without teeth.

If I did my extractions a few at a time, the 3 month healing process wouldn't start until the last tooth was pulled so they suggest all top out same visit.

Six months doesn't seem right at all. Don't dentists usually pull teeth and 6 to 8 weeks later there are our dentures? How can any dentist feel okay about someone being on soup, jello and pudding for half a year?! Seems cruel and dangerous.

That's why there are temporary dentures. Here insurance doesn't pay for them so it will cost you more.

Thanks, Comfort Dentist.

I may want to go implants instead. However since a full top would probably be the cost of a brand new Corvette, I can't do that. So would like two top implants work to hold in top dentures better? My bottom teeth are mint condition (Thank goodness) so I should have most of my bite strength intact (I think?). If I need time to save up for 2 top implants, will I be.... Every mouth is different so let me phrase better...

Is it, in a round about general way, feasible to get two upper implants 2 to 5 years post entire top teeth being extracted? Or would the risk of bone loss be too great to even attempt?

The new corvette with the large engine is 127,000 so several times more than implants.

I am getting an implant on my bottom molar, and got it extracted today. I will be without a tooth for 8 months! They said 4 months for the bone to grow back and for the gums to heal. Then I get the implant rod. Then I have to wait 4 more months for that to heal and "grow" to the bone. Then I get the crown put on. So implants may be even longer, depending on the tooth. My oral surgeon said teerh with one root can be done sooner as the implant can sometimes be placed at the time of extraction.

I have been living on soft foods only for 4 months now, due to a failed root canal on one side, painful infected molar on the other side (just got extracted), and now an abscessed front tooth. It stinks but is doable.

I can't imagine someone being left entirely without teeth for 6 months. The process in my country would be, as comfortdentist mentioned, to get immediate dentures which get placed in right after the extractions so that you walk out of the office with teeth in your mouth. These dentures would stay with your for 6 months and you would get in frequently to have them adjusted, especially at the beginning during the recovery of gums. After 6 months you would get the permanent denture.

If you are considering to get an implant solution, it might be wise to talk to your dentist about this as he can see how much bone you have and assess wether this would be possible and under which conditions. Your dentist can also tell you what are your options - how many implants would you need to get enough support etc and also how long can you wait.

Back