Does anybody else obsess over teeth and the future?

A

AnxietyHannah

I have an obsession with teeth and I can't help but hope every day that there will be a break-through in science and we will be able to regenerate enamel or even a root. I feel so hopeless about the future because I feel like teeth show erosion and just "decay-in" that is getting older and I am so scared to be old and without a healthy mouth and just in pain and with some ugly fake teeth and sometimes I'm crying because I want so much for there to be a biomedical solution to this. I can't help getting my hopes up only to realise that it's probably sci-fi and never gonna happen. I'm scared and sometimes I get so desperate I wonder if it's even worth it to live with bad teeth or if that just means your life is over.

C

champ

I do, as well. How old are you, though? Because if you're young - 20s/30s - there will likely be so many dental advances in your lifetime. And MAYBE teeth will start to get covered health care as if they're a body part!!!! So I would say, just try to take it one thing that comes up at a time over the years. I can remember when noone got implants, and now people do. I know it's hard, and I do think part of it is that we can't get adequate health care coverage for teeth, but if you can on days you can try just handling one thing at a time. And right now, there's really nothing to distract anyone from our worries, so please remember that, too.

A

AnxietyHannah

I am in my mid-twenties.
I try not to get my hopes up too much about any future dental advances because I tend to get too excited about really advanced regeneration technologies only to see that 5 years down the line, nothing ever comes out of it. It's very disappointing.
I try my best but as you said, it gets ignored by health insurances and I think it gets fairly little funding compared to other issues.

T

Thephilsblogbar

Yes. I worry all the time about my teeth. I hate my teeth, an overcrowding problem, got some ugly fillings, twinges I get, embrassment.

I am in my late 30s

C

champ

I am in my mid-twenties.
I try not to get my hopes up too much about any future dental advances because I tend to get too excited about really advanced regeneration technologies only to see that 5 years down the line, nothing ever comes out of it. It's very disappointing.
I try my best but as you said, it gets ignored by health insurances and I think it gets fairly little funding compared to other issues.

Do you have a lot of dental work now? Teeth CAN be stabilized. Except for a patched crown, I haven't needed anything done in 25 years, and prior to that I was often at the dentist.

C

champ

I think probably more people worry about their teeth than don't. Which doesn't make it easier, but I think so. I've been worrying about my teeth for 30 years and so far (knock wood) it hasn't turned out as badly as I thought it would. (I do hate my crowns, though, but that's because they're really ugly and mismatched.) I just hate to see other people losing years of their lives to worrying about this, as I did.

A

AnxietyHannah

Do you have a lot of dental work now? Teeth CAN be stabilized. Except for a patched crown, I haven't needed anything done in 25 years, and prior to that I was often at the dentist.

I feel like I am on a slippery slope right now and the result is only losing them all. I am very scared of the future, I just wish I could get a second chance. I have two root canals for example because I fell of my bike because a car door opened and I flew over the handles. I just wish I could undo it all, and have a new and healthy set of teeth instead of my repaired and glued and ground down ones.

I'm also scared because I have bruxism and already tons of little chips, and cracks and craze lines.

Last edited:
C

champ

I feel like I am on a slippery slope right now and the result is only losing them all. I am very scared of the future, I just wish I could get a second chance. I have two root canals for example because I fell of my bike because a car door opened and I flew over the handles. I just wish I could undo it all, and have a new and healthy set of teeth instead of my repaired and glued and ground down ones.

I hear ya. Teeth are just a bad bargain, overall, it seems. Other body parts heal; teeth don't. Also, just a tiny paper cut will hurt when you get it, but teeth don't give out any early warning signs that something's hurting them. I think all any of us can do is muddle through without letting them ruin our lives. (I think sometimes the worry does that more than the teeth themselves.) Also, this is a majorly dental obsessed country; a Swedish friend told me that there teeth aren't a big deal like here. Maybe science will come through, and they're discovering new, more biocompatible materials all the time. And maybe they'll start treating teeth like other body parts. I can't say don't worry, because I do myself, but when the pandemic is over try to get busy with some other things. Distraction really can help. Fun (remember that?) is the best distraction of all.

A

AnxietyHannah

I hear ya. Teeth are just a bad bargain, overall, it seems. Other body parts heal; teeth don't. Also, just a tiny paper cut will hurt when you get it, but teeth don't give out any early warning signs that something's hurting them. I think all any of us can do is muddle through without letting them ruin our lives. (I think sometimes the worry does that more than the teeth themselves.) Also, this is a majorly dental obsessed country; a Swedish friend told me that there teeth aren't a big deal like here. Maybe science will come through, and they're discovering new, more biocompatible materials all the time. And maybe they'll start treating teeth like other body parts. I can't say don't worry, because I do myself, but when the pandemic is over try to get busy with some other things. Distraction really can help. Fun (remember that?) is the best distraction of all.

It might sound stupid but it hurts me, emotionally, that my teeth are getting worse. It makes me extremely sad to see them being all worn and not like they used to. In the past ten years, I've only missed the annual appointment for check-ups once (COVID) and have gone at least once a year, if not more. Sometimes, every three months to fit the bite-guard and the like. Yet, it's getting worse and worse.
My family doesn't care as much. My siblings went years and years without any check-ups and when they did go, it was just fine, no issues whatsoever, not even stains. It makes me so sad that I can't have that.

C

champ

It might sound stupid but it hurts me, emotionally, that my teeth are getting worse. It makes me extremely sad to see them being all worn and not like they used to. In the past ten years, I've only missed the annual appointment for check-ups once (COVID) and have gone at least once a year, if not more. Sometimes, every three months to fit the bite-guard and the like. Yet, it's getting worse and worse.
My family doesn't care as much. My siblings went years and years without any check-ups and when they did go, it was just fine, no issues whatsoever, not even stains. It makes me so sad that I can't have that.

I understand that, honestly.

T

Thephilsblogbar

I still live at home with my parents because of my disability, it just causing arugments as I am getting more and more obscess with my teeth, my parents can't see what I am concerned about, my dad thinks you need your wisdom teeth (my dad is helping me, as I can't see properly what I am doing with the light and mirror, ) this was not a issue when I was child as we had a decent mirror and the light was better,

I know I go every three months to the dentists, and I know it takes a long time before teeth get bad

M

MountainMama

I do think eventually there will be a breakthrough with a way to replace teeth that is more natural, but for now at least we have implants!
I am in my early 40’s and dealing with a lot of dental issues. I actually have fairly healthy teeth with no cavities but I had some in the past and all my molars were filled, weakening them. I have had four molars extracted in the past two years and two implants and one implant being done later this year. The implants are pretty amazing and it is nice not to “feel” anything in them or worry about them going bad. Yes, they may need replacement later down the road but they also may last my whole life if I really take care of them.
I had an accident as a child and chipped my front tooth. I did not have a root canal at the time, which I later found out I should have had. My tooth died over many years and abscessed. I had it extracted and an implant placed. Unless I tell people, they have no idea it is fake. It works just like a real tooth. As my oral surgeon said, the implants are the strongest teeth in my mouth.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi everyone,

If one has an on-going story dental problems which seem never ending, and people search for a definitive solution, a clear end. I think this is also valid to the COVID crisis the world is experiencing: there is no clear end.
I think that what can help is to have a clear dental treatment plan which can provide clarity to the patient rather letting the mind come up with all kind of bad scenarios.
finally, I would like to share with you a video I made about dental health in the modern era. Hope it helps.

T

toothlessinseattle

Thank you..this gave perspective in a harrowing time of not having the funds to fix my teeth the way they need to be..

C

champ

I particular appreciated when you said, "You know what's bad for your teeth? Life!" It actually made me smile.

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Just wanted to mention a video I made recently which is relevant for this thread.

Dental worrying

S

Sara89

I understand your fear. I have had perfect teeth and still all my molars are healthy but a cosmetic dentist ruined my enamel and in left me with bonding. I rally hate it and i feel so sad every day, since 2019. The best thing to do is to distract yourself with something else.

K

KT08

I obsess about my teeth to an extreme level. All my back teeth are filled and I’m very close to root canals or extractions.
Frustratingly my dentist tells me I have excellent oral hygiene and I am just unfortunate. I drop weight drastically whenever I need new fillings or fillings replaced as I’m so anxious I just stop eating (and also don’t like eating on new dental work)

B

Blondey209

Im with all of you on this.. been going through hell with my teeth for 3 months now. Has been problem after problem.. i feel traumatized as i had an infected tooth and wad rushed to hospital in agony (all dentist were closed) next morning had a root canal.. it failed... went back in pain next day she had left nerve in... then pain again.. ended up at a different dentist who said it was actually cracked and had to be extracted.. since then its been fillings that fail.. and now i had a metal band around my back tooth.. eating on it for first time in 2 weeks this weekend to see if it hurts.. im absolutely terrified as i cannot lose this tooth as it would leave only 1 on that top side... so if no pain a crown will be put on in 2 months... im 30 and feel so silly for not paying closer attention to my teeth growing up.. now i obssess over every sensation and twinge i now clench at night from all thestress 4th night tonight of using dental mouth guard... will itever be over.. ita consumed my life😢.. this site has been helping me feel less alone...

C

champ

Oh yes, definitely. I think about my teeth all day every day, no matter what else I'm doing. They're the first thing I think of when I open my eyes in the morning, and the last thing I think of at night. My teeth are pretty horrible -- even though they've all been repaired, they look horrible (1/2 crowns), and I don't know what's worse: thinking about them or my actual teeth. I'm sorry for anyone who goes through this, too.