• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does anyone fear dropping dental instruments in your mouth during procedures

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone fear dropping dental instruments in your mouth during procedures

this is one of my greatest fears.. when they are putting stuff in and out of your mouth, small pieces or large,, that they would fall and you would swallow and choke.. Does anyone else have this fear?

Re: Does anyone fear dropping dental instruments in your mouth during procedures

It seldom happens but I do worry about it. I have rules such as patients wear safety glasses and never pass things over someone's face. I use a rubber dam a lot and often have my assistant use strong suction to grab anything that might fall out like during an extraction

Re: Does anyone fear dropping dental instruments in your mouth during procedures

Hi yes I do and I prefer it when a dental dam is used, these are usually used when having a rct but I would be happy if they were used for fillings as well. :)

I am always scared that the dentist will drop something in my mouth or get the instrument stuck, I hate going to the dentist, I also dont like the xray film scared that will get stuck. in my gums,

Tomorrow I'm going for my abutment and crown molds.. and it looks like there are little screws and pieces having to go in and out.. i'm really nervous about that but... I'm going to remind my dentist.. I told him already and he said "me too".. and laughed.. it was funny.. but.. hopefully he is good.. :p

Good luck for you apointment :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: I like the sound of your dentist, sounds like he has a good sense of humour.

All the best to you :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::butterfly:

Thanks Carole...

Yes, so far so good, I"ve only seen him 3 times and they were all really quick nothing major but he seems sweet and funny. so those are 2 really great things. :)... less than 24 hours away... whoohoo.. Thanks!! :)

It seldom happens but I do worry about it. I have rules such as patients wear safety glasses and never pass things over someone's face. I use a rubber dam a lot and often have my assistant use strong suction to grab anything that might fall out like during an extraction

My dentist always give us safety glasses to wear. thinking about getting a pair myself.

yeah, my dentist gives me the glasses too. :0. lol last time I was there i got a little anxious he told me he was going to put this piece of gauze at the base of my throat to catch anything if it fell. OMG.. then it got me a little nervous, I reminded him I had a strong gag reflux and didn't think that would work so well, so he was good and didn't .. said it wouldn't happen he was just being cautious but they would make sure to catch anything.. phew. I'm glad I can joke around with him a little on that.. but.. it still makes me nervous the thought.. The good thing is... the more times I go... the more I trust him not to drop anything.. sooo that is good. But some procedures there is more risk than others..

I did ask him if I could see what he would possibly drop down.( lol what a question) he kind of laughed and said before or after.. ? lets just not do that right now. lol.. something like that. ha. ok.. just had to trust it I guess. it all worked out.

Back