• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does anyone here have an NHS dentist who they have been seeing for more than a year?

D

Dentist hater

Does anyone here have an NHS dentist who they have been seeing for more than a year?

Does anyone on here who has had an NHS dentist for more than a year and who have provided good treatment? Just would like to know?

Re: Does anyone here have an NHS dentist who they have been seeing for more than a year?

Yup 4 years.... i think

Re: Does anyone here have an NHS dentist who they have been seeing for more than a year?

so there are some out there then. lol

yup although i dont really have a fear of dentists but if i did, he would be the one i would choose he can be quite funny sometimes, but lets face it theres a maximum humour capacity in dentists thats not very big to start with.His accent annoys me too lol but thats because im easily irritated... not his fault.

Years ago I got the same Associate dentist for about 3 years...and he was good and I really liked him. The norm on an Associates list was 1 check-up or two if you were lucky.
To get continuity in NHS dentistry you need to be a patient of the principal (owner) of the practice..in a mixed practice though sometimes the owner mainly has all the private patients and the Associates all the NHS patients.

There are undoubtedly some good NHS dentists out there but it is harder to find a good one than in private sector because of the way the Contract has distorted things...even a good dentist can only provide care at the level allowed by the NHS which is not the most up to date any more and a bit basic as to materials and procedures allowed. So much more is possible now than when NHS dental care was first made available. If you have gum problems is the basic clean sometimes provided at an NHS check-up going to be sufficient? If you are on a two year check-up recall because you generally have no decay...what about your gum health?

Gordon has said before that maybe going to a Mixed practice is probably the best way to obtain optimal care on the NHS.

Availabilty of NHS dentists varies a lot from area to area..in an area with shortages, you have less choice...looking for a UK trained dentist is probably also a good idea but you often won't have any control over who you see as an NHS patient.

I've been at the same practice for 12 years and I've seen 3 different dentists there. I have a phobia, but don't like to show I'm scared to my kids, all of the dentists have been understanding. I'd hate to have to find somewhere new if they opted out of NHS.

Hiya Amber, i dont mean to be cheeky or anything but just wanted to have someone elses opinion, did they space your treatment out. Like do some and then 3 monthes later do the rest and then leave it a while and then do whatevers left or did you get all yours done without the spacing out. Do you have to push to have certain things done, like if you wanted something but they dont agree with it but it still is available on the nhs WILL THEY DO IT.

Thanks for your input

Back