• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

does it ever get better?

L

lilyep125

hi all. i posted a while ago, long story short: horrible past experience, avoided going for 7 years, husband finally made me, and i have at least 10 things to get fixed as well as a deep clean. Anyways i have been cancelling my appts for about 4 months now and have finally been convinced to go with a valium beforehand and nitrous during. Its tomorrow morning and im still panicking but hopefully can actually make it this time. I pretty much have severe anxiety the entire week beforehand (cant sleep, eat, focus at work, panic attacks, etc).Just wondering for those of you who experience this, does it ever get easier? l cant really afford to be like that a week before every appointment, nor can I handle it mentally, and I forsee a lot of those in my future. I dont have any other anxiety issues or take medications for anything. Thanks in advance!

I was really scared of dentists st rhe beginning of the year. I think for me it has gotten easier. So far I've gotten a cleaning (in 4 separate appointments), 2 fillings, and 6 teeth pulled. Then I got fitted with a partial denture which took another 3 appointments but didn't involve needles. I need one more wisdom tooth pulled & 4 more fillings. I took Ativan for my extractions but that's it. for my other appointments I just went. I think if you have a good dentist or helps a lot.

My experience is that it does get easier as long as each experience is a good one. After avoiding the dentist for most of my adult life, since February this year I've done an emergency extraction, full mouth deep clean & 6 fillings. My appointments have been every 2/3 weeks.In the beginning, I really struggled to get through a cleaning & spent the whole time between appointments very stressed & anxious. I wouldn't sleep the night before an appointment & couldn't eat or I would be sick. My last appointment was for 2 fillings in one go & now the nerves only start to kick in the night before.

Yes, it does get better.

It just takes a little courage at first, and then maintenance type daily action thereafter.

But definitely worth it.

so just for an update, I did manage to go. I would not say it went well. I took a valium before hand which did not seem to do much so I added a benadryl. I had a pretty bad panic attack when I got there but my husband stayed with me which helped. It was my first time trying Nitrous and the mask was wayyyyy too big so it wasnt working which panicked me more. They gave me a second dose of valium and changed the mask size. After about an hour I finally calmed down enough for them to start. I made it through the deep clean and 2 fillings, then proceeded to vomit uncontrollably so they had to stop and my husband took me home. I think me being anxious made the hygenist helping anxious which also didnt help anything. Not sure how the next one is going to go considering I still feel anxious from yesterday. Oh and forgot to mention the dentist I saw for my first appt apparently quit so when I showed up yesterday to get things fixed it was a new one I had never met.

Last edited:
so just for an update, I did manage to go. I would not say it went well. I took a valium before hand which did not seem to do much so I added a benadryl. I had a pretty bad panic attack when I got there but my husband stayed with me which helped. It was my first time trying Nitrous and the mask was wayyyyy too big so it wasnt working which panicked me more. They gave me a second dose of valium and changed the mask size. After about an hour I finally calmed down enough for them to start. I made it through the deep clean and 2 fillings, then proceeded to vomit uncontrollably so they had to stop and my husband took me home. I think me being anxious made the hygenist helping anxious which also didnt help anything. Not sure how the next one is going to go considering I still feel anxious from yesterday. Oh and forgot to mention the dentist I saw for my first appt apparently quit so when I showed up yesterday to get things fixed it was a new one I had never met.

I think I'd change dental practice to one where the owner is the dentist - they don't tend to quit then!That sounds like it was an awful experience....nitrous can cause vomiting - were you left on it for a full hour to calm down? It also sounds like they are trying to do too many things per appointment.....this approach is normal for a corporate dental office as it is good for their profit levels but bad for nervous patients who want to establish a relationship with a dentist they like and trust. It is not uncommon to do deep cleaning in 4 separate visits per quadrant, so to do your whole mouth and 2 fillings seems like a lot. Good luck.

Back