• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does IV sedation cause nausea and vomiting?

R

Rabbit

I am scheduled for a redo of a root canal with iv sedation because of my anxiety about the rubber dam and bite block setting off my easy gag reflex. A lot of sites say nausea and vomiting post procedure with iv sedation is common. Is this accurate? None of the posts here mention this effect at all.

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi Rabbit,
I have been providing IV sedation for my patients for 17 years. I cannot recall a single case of post operative nasea and vomiting.
When given in a dental setting it is very slowly and carefully administered, and this approach is also likely to reduce unwanted side effects.
I have also come accross some studies which show it may have an anti- sickness effect.
I imagine it should help with the rubber dam. Good luck

Lincoln

Last edited:
R

Rabbit

@drhirst
Thank you for your helpful and encouraging comment!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Totally agree with Lincoln, I can't recall a single case of post op nausea at all, it definitely reduces the gag reflex during treatment too.

B

borderer

I very much doubt you'l have any trouble at all. I've had a couple of IV sessions. Essentially the stuff goes in and..... you're recovering in the waiting room. That's it. In reality you are conscious and can respond to the dentist's instructions but have no awareness of it and no memory of it afterwards because memory formation is inhibited. Subjectively it's just like a GA.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rabbit,

The most important thing is you feel comfortable with whatever you do whether it is try the sedation or not, It’s always scary or nerve wracking, trying something new too have had sedation several times and never had the nasea and vomiting. Having used to work in medical field customer service, I know those releases make sure they cover themselves they have to list all possible side effects when really alot of them barely ever happen. Does your dentist know your fears about sedation? Talking about it before to them directly might ease them. I wish you all the best!

J

Jackieallen

Had iv sedation 3 days ago amazing can’t recall anything once the iv was in. Woke up all work done. Got home slept 2 hrs then enjoyed weekend of soft foods. Don’t doubt it at all 100 % recommend