• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does Lanap surgery require multiple roof of mouth injections to become numb or is my perio just sadistic?

S

Shootmenow

I just cancelled my Lanap appointment because I was surprised by my periodontist about WHERE he intended to numb my MULTIPLE injections in the roof of the mouth!! When I asked why he never told me where he was going to numb me, he stated "you never asked, and I'm not a mind reader!" Ok, I'm terrified of any needle. Everything I've read about lanap states there is no need for injections HOWEVER, it goes to the bone when they scale. I'm confused and ready to let my teeth fall out because of this! He continuously stated " because of the severity of the bone loss and your age ( I'm sliding into 50) he insists that I have diabetes when I do not. Am I missing something, or is he just sadistic?

First relax. What did your Perio say for why it is necessary? No dental professional is going to numb you just for the sadistic pleasure of numbing you. It is time consuming, they have to hold their hands in uncomfortable positions and go slow while staying still etc. It probably causes hand cramps.

I do not know what a dental professional knows about diagnosing diabetes, but did you inquire what signs he saw? You might want to get checked, but I don't know.

The first step would be to talk to your doctor and seek information. Try to stick to the facts. The other option is to see another provider. Maybe one of the actual dental professionals on this forum can chime in and better answer your questions. That said, I always like to give a doctor the benefit of the doubt up front. Tell him what you read and ask how the treatment differs, etc.

I would have loved to have been able to talk to him about these matters, but my phobia causes me to freeze when placed in front of any "white coat", and my husband doesn't catch the " freeze" signs to chime in, nor does the Dr. seem to care about such matters. I've heard "aww, that's too bad about your "phobia" to, it's all in your head and you are just making up all the "abuse" you have had. Just to be clear, I'm not afraid of being numb, but I refuse to put myself under undue pain to get there, I just cannot allow some to do that to me, and that is where this whole horror show begins. Now, the Dr. stated that the only way to sufficiently numb me for the procedure is to have multiple palate injections. I've consulted 2 other perio docs before him, and they said palatal injections were not needed . So why didn't I go with one of them? They refused to let my husband in the room ( or building) while I was being sedated. This will not work due to early abuse that took place I need someone in the room at all times or at the very least until I'm out to see they are there. Yes, it's horrible, but I will stand firm to my "laws". As far as the diabetes is concerned, I know for fact I'm not diabetic, but I am perimenopausal, and too early for that shift, and it most likely caused the rapid gum changes and bone loss. Frightening but factual. Dentists now have the right to test you and diagnose you for heart disease, diabetes, cancers, and have in general become doctors of these conditions because the mouth is the first place disease is found (especially gum disease). To my shock, all three wanted to test me for diabetes, and became adamant when I refused. No one touches me with a needle unless I consent, and no one pushes me into a corner about it ....early abuse trigger that won't end well. I went in for a second consultation to hear him say " it's all in your mind and only you can change it if you want this done." It's not as easy as it sounds when you have trauma so great it affects your ability to even talk to another human in a white coat. Yes, I am in therapy for this whole mess, but it boils down to I'm a warrior with a phobia who needs a warrior to keep me sane during times of medical or dental attention....anyone up to be my dental bodyguard??

To me that is strange that a dentist would ever test for such things. My dentist will refer out a root canal and sticks to general dentistry for example. I am certain he would simply notate my chart if he saw something, notify me, and ask me to follow up with my General Practitioner.

I get the idea of stage fright in front of the white coats; it is common. Performers have a similar issue. Students often do not like public speaking etc. My suggestion in this case is to send an email to your dentist office asking any questions and relaying any concerns.

I still do this focusing on the facts and trying to keep it brief and direct to my issues. I know whatever I say my dentist has seen worse teeth, more obnoxious patients, and patients with higher anxiety and much more obnoxious questions. It WILL be the same for your dentist, so I strongly urge you to send an email.

Each time I do this, my dentist takes it very seriously and personally writes me back addressing each issue making me feel much better. I went over where I was feeling pain, tooth numbers, surfaces, what they are sensitive too, what hurts and what does not.

He wrote me back telling me I did half the exam for him and the good news is that my issue is almost certainly easily fixable wirhout a root canal. He set aside time just for me to come in and go straight to x-ray and treatment all at once as to not make me anxious twice.

My dentist is incredible. While he numbed me there was no pain at all. All I felt was the tooth that was sensitive suddenly stopped feeling funny as I was being numbed. It almost felt like a massage is the best way to describe it. After that, the sensitivity, pain, etc. were 90% better that day. It took my brain two weeks to learn that tooth did not hurt anymore and could be trusted ... that I could eat on that side of my mouth without pain again.

I feel wonderful... so wonderful to have my issues resolved.

You can do it too. Instead of immediately rushing back to the dentit up front, you could first send an email to your dentist and ask your questions. Please do not feel embarrassed, frozen, or anything else. Feel free to link what you read, but ask it as you do not know and are seeking information ... rather than you are saying your perio is wrong. You do not need to challenge your perio, but you are entitled to answers, and you will almost certainly get them if you send an email.

You can also reference this topic if you like. Nothing in here will offend a professional, so no need to worry.

I hope this helps you get the answers you need, so you can confidently pursue treatment and feel better.

Back