• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does the curing (blue) light damage your eyes?

J

Jack29

I had a composite filling done on an upper premolar. The light curing lasted about 1-2 minutes altogether. During this time i saw some blue light from my side view; and half that time looked towards the side they were working on. Whilst the tip didn't directly shine into my eyes, i don't think, it was noticeable and i might of even seen the tip for a second as the assistant's hand wobbled (she looked away for some parts whilst applying the light).

I'm very worried whether this could have caused any damage to my eyes within that time frame, especially since I've noticed slight sight problems not very long after. Or would it take longer and chronic exposure to have any effect? I know this question isn't directly dental related, but i didn't know where else to post it. Any response would me much appreciated, thank you.

It is not UV just very intense blue visible light. We dental personal get exposed much much more and I can still see fine.

It is not UV just very intense blue visible light. We dental personal get exposed much much more and I can still see fine.

Thanks for the reassuring response. So it couldn't have hurt my eyes.

Back