• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does this look like an abscess?

N

Natural_

Hello, lurker turned recent member here, I've been working up the courage to go to the dentist for the first time in a long time as part of a series of steps to improve my life after years of alcohol abuse/smoking.

The long and short of it is, the entire breadth of my struggles has left me with some serious healthy anxiety and because of some horrific experiences with military dentists as a child my dental anxiety is nearly out of control. I have an appointment for a week from today and I've been absolutely dreading every moment since confirming the appointment on the phone.

Last night after brushing I noticed this small pink bump on my gums and now I cannot stop my brain from jumping to the conclusion that it's certainly a fistula draining from an infection.

I have no abnormal pain in the teeth around the little bump, just some cold sensitivity (not really sensitive to hot, doesn't last more than a couple of seconds and the teeth quickly "adjust"). No pain or discomfort with percussion or pressure in that area, the gums don't really seem tender around the little bump, there is no ache, none of the teeth around it have been root canaled or filled, there doesn't seem to be any sign of a large cavity in either tooth.

Pics included.

I am just absolutely losing my mind over this and I would really like to have some idea of what I'm in for.

The location of this little guy is in an area that would require cosmetic options that are no within my realm of payment at the moment.

Attachments

• 48882.jpg
    48882.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 31232.jpg
    31232.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Doesn't look like an abscess and it's certainly not a fistula. As for what it actually is, I'm not sure, it's hard to tell from a photo. My best guess would be it's a reaction to some minor trauma, like catching it hard with your brush or slicing the gum a bit with a sharp bit of food.

Thanks gordon, you are making my wife feel like a very smart woman. I've been overbrushing a bit lately since committing to the appointment, so I'd guess it's that or the dumb floss pick things.

Wives are inevitably correct, even when they're wrong :)

Back