• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Don't know what else I can do

T

Thorpe55

Hi guys I'm at a loss and feel like giving up, I finally made the leap and got a appointment with a dentist but it was a private one because I couldn't get into a nhs one, the lady there was absolutely amazing with me long story short, I have a really bad case of gum disease and I have bone loss, my top teeth at the front are moving and I'm starting to see gaps appearing on the one side, my front teeth are beginning a little lose and sore when I drink something warm/cold. I've had 6 bottom teeth removed and she put a denture partial plate in for me that should last for 6 months, I loss 2 and she took 4 out! But I cannot afford anymore treatment there, and my teeth are really starting to course me a lot of pain, I know I'm going to more likely lose more teeth but I can't get into a nhs dentist that will help me, where do I go from here I feel like giving up. Can anyone help with some advice please.

Hi there, well done on making the leap ? ?!! Sounds like the dentist you've been seeing is lovely, it's such a shame that money issues are getting into the way of continuing with her ?. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a caring dentist who accepts NHS patients soon - fingers crossed!

The NHS website has the following advice for what to do if you can't get into an NHS dentist:

Problems finding an NHS dentist​

If after contacting several dental surgeries you still cannot find a dentist accepting NHS patients, call NHS England's Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

NHS England commissions dental services in England and is required to meet the needs of their local population for both urgent and routine dental care.

Your local Healthwatch may be able to give you information about services in your area or raise a concern if you have one.

Find your local Healthwatch

If NHS England has been unable to help you find a dentist and you want to raise your concerns about this, contact them on:

If you're still not satisfied with NHS England's response, you can take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Have you tried any of these options yet? If so, what happened?

Have you explained the situation to them, they'll obviously want to keep you. I know discussing money can feel awkward perhaps, but I think they're fully aware of how expensive they are (as are all private dentists!).. Isn't there anything they can offer you, payment plans etc? She sounds helpful to you that's all.

Why is the partial only to last 6mo, is it because it's an immediate denture, because of the bone loss, or something else?

Perhaps it's worth putting yourself in other forums, groups or SM and put the word out as much as possible that you're looking for someone in your area. There are denture groups out there, that may be a start?

Back