• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dry socket after impacted wisdom tooth removal.

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
Looking for some advice, support and reassurance. Back ground: I’m terrified of the dentist because of past traumatic experience. Also significantly suffer from mental health issues. 5 days ago Thursday evening I had an impacted wisdom tooth out and it was traumatic and painful. By Friday night I was in horrendous pain, (I’d followed all the rules splayed out for recovery) by Sunday the pain was horrific I hadn’t slept saw an emergency dentist, they diagnosed dry socket :( cleaned and packed it with brown stuff. Was given antibiotics. Now Tuesday I’m out of pain, think antibiotics are working but still feeling very unwell/ poorly. So I would like these questions answered.
Do I need the brown packing stuff removed?
How long will it take to heal?
When is it safe for me to smoke again?
When can I start taking my anti anxiety and depression tablets again? And my contraceptive pill? (can’t take them with antibiotics)
Is the white grey stuff around the edge of the packing normal?
If anyone can answer this or reassurance encourage would really help. Haven’t stopped crying since Friday :’(

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, so sorry to hear about what happened :(.

1. The brown packing stuff will be dissolved away by white blood cells, so it doesn’t need to be removed.

2. It varies fro person to person - your dentist who has actually seen it will be the best person to advise.

3. Best thing would be to wait until you’re out of pain and it looks as if it’s healing. If you can’t wait that long, here are some tips:

4. These are questions you need to ask your dentist and/or GP - aftercare advice is included in the fee you pay for the wizzie extraction

5. Yes, totally normal - means that it’s healing

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
@letsconnect thank you so much for replying so quickly. The dentist who packed said it looked like it was healing well. Prior to this I had the other wisdom tooth out 3 weeks ago and it had pretty much healed by the end of the second week, so hope this means this one will to. My dentist didn’t give me a date just said it will take a while :/ but I’m so grateful for your response. I’m not in immediate pain anymore, it’s more of a niggle now. The dentist which removed hasn’t even bothered to call back and check on me, being honest the way they treated me has put me back to square one with trust of dentist :( but thank you again so much ❤️🙏🏻❤️

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
Also sorry forgot to ask when it’s safe to go back to work?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear that it’s healing well :)!

I suppose the work question depends on your job (if you’re a professional wrestler or a saxophone player, you’d probably want more time off than if you were working in an office job, for example). Really depends on whether you feel well enough to return to work?

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
Thank you again. I do work in a powder coating factory, but if I go back I would be able to do light duties, answer the phone making drinks ect day two of antibiotics I think they have started to work their magic, after what you have said I’m more hopefully for my recovery. There just isn’t enough information out there for people suffering dry socket so this has made a lot of difference. So this forum has been a godsend 🙏🏻❤️ But getting back to work I know will significantly improve my mental health and possibly help me to sleep better after getting out :) thank you so much, have generally given me hope and useful information! Allowing myself to have 1-2 loose rollies a day until it’s healed and make sure I salt rinse after having them 🤞🏻

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
@letsconnect please help I’m panicking, the pack has come out slight it’s kind dangling around a bit in my mouth what do I do I’m worried?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
That's absolutely fine, as long as the pain has subsided - if it's still painful, you should get the Alveogyl (the brown stuff) replaced every couple of days though.

Really sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck with dentists, can you change to somebody else?

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
@letsconnect no pain atm more just sensitive type thing like if I caught it. but my fear is that horrible pain will come back! But got that white stuff around it so I assume that’s good! Can’t see well enough but looks like it’s healing. Dentist finally got back to me, saying to not smoke for 7 days and I can start taking my medication again, so feeling more positive atm thank you again. :)

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
@letsconnect Hoping you can help again, dentist have been good but are super busy and take their time getting back to me. With anxiety and a panic disorder it’s basic torture. So day 8 after extraction. All the packing is out, most of the pain is gone not taking pain killers at the moment. On day 5 of 7 day course of antibiotics. Yesterday was a bad day I was very sick nauseous and bad tummy generally felt very unwell. Manage some more food finally, mostly been living off yogurts and jelly. So yesterday afternoon I started getting this rancid taste in my mouth smelt and tasted like death, was trying to clear it from my mouth as often as I could, it was coming out green and yellow. I have rung the dentist about it but they haven’t got back to me yet. Is it the anti biotics working? Clearing out the infection? Is that was it is? As this morning the bad taste had died down abit does seem to be seeping out as much. And I managed to look in my mouth, it looks clean, and I think there’s a new small blood clot has formed like reddish brown colour and the gum next to it looks whitey sort of colour is this good?
Thanks in advance hope someone can get back to me soon thanks :)

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear it's healing well, I have no idea what the rancid taste was. Did your dentist ring back?

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
@letsconnect yes they did and saw but wasn’t my dentist, was a stand in. Apparently it happens when you have dry socket or had he said it’s where the packing was in there. But he said it was healing but slowly to be expected and the bad taste will go away but he didn’t see infection said it looked clean. Carry on doing what I’m doing :) 1-2 weeks for gums to heal over. 3-4 for them to harden.

L

lleigh26

Can I Ask If When You Got The Dry Socket Dressing.. How Long After Did The Pain Subside..? 😊 xx

F

Former member 34003

Former Member
@lleigh26 I did get significant pain relief straight away from it, it takes the worst of it away but after a day some pain will return as it’s still tender and healing so keep on top the pain killers. Getting dressing definitely helped as I managed to get a few hours sleep after finally :) hopefully this helps