• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dry socket packed, what now?

B

Beckybo

Hello.
Sooo last Wednesday I had a lower back tooth extraction...it was a difficult extraction and resulted in me having to go back to the dentist 2 days later (Friday) He told me it was dry socket and packed it with some stuff for me. He said it would dissolve over a few days and I should be good, he didn’t once say anything about me needing to go back.
Today is Sunday and it has just started to come out a bit....I’m not sure what to do and I’m freaking out...when it all comes out will the pain kick in? Or will it of started to heal a little bit whilst it’s been in? I’m feeling the odd twinge at the moment but I’m on pins ready for the bad pain to start. Should I try and keep it in or just allow it to come out. I’m confused as he didn’t say I should go back to have more in when it comes out?
Really don’t know what to do?

It'll dissolve away itself, the pain won't come back, the packing will have done it's job by now. Try just to ignore it and it'll be fine :)

It'll dissolve away itself, the pain won't come back, the packing will have done it's job by now. Try just to ignore it and it'll be fine :)
Thank you Gordon that’s such a relief to hear, I’ve been on edge everyday waiting for something to happen.
I’m on day 5 now, the packing is still mostly in and I’m not really in any pain...although I do have a strange sensation that keeps coming and going in my cheek bone area....it’s not really a pain, almost like a tingling that gets a bit sensitive to touch. Any ideas?

Healing probably, there's a lot going on in the first few days after an extraction.

Back