• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dry socket under stitches possible?

G

Getoutmymouth

I had a very deeply impacted wisdom tooth removed under general on Monday. The surgeon said it was hard to get out with the tooth being so deep, horizontal and with 3 curled roots. It had to be drilled into 4 pieces to get it all out.

He told me to prepare for a lot of pain post op and I am taking pain killers, but it's doing me in.

Today feels the worst so far. It's throbbing and the pain is up to my eye and almost down to my shoulder. I've had dry socket before but that was many years ago and with a tooth that was simply pulled out. I have no idea if the clot is in place as I have so many stitches that I can't see.

My follow up appt is not for 2 weeks. I'm salt water rinsing, more sloshing so no sucking or spitting, but don't know what else to do to calm this down.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes you can, it's unusual but possible. If the pain is getting worse then it needs looking at, give your dentist a call.

G

Getoutmymouth

Urgh.. I feared that might be the case.
My root canal next friday might ed up being delayed because of this. I can't even get a teaspoon in my mouth yet!
Thank you Gordon! xx

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getoutofmymouth,

I hope you got a little rest today wishing healing and relief from pain for you! let us know how you are! :grouphug:

G

Getoutmymouth

Thanks. I wish that I had. I think the extraction site is infected as I now have pus coming out of it and I have a fever.

My follow up isn't until Thursday evening and I feel dog rough. I can’t go to my dentist, as they won't touch someone elses surgical stitches so I'm left sat waiting.

M

MountainMama

Thanks. I wish that I had. I think the extraction site is infected as I now have pus coming out of it and I have a fever.

My follow up isn't until Thursday evening and I feel dog rough. I can’t go to my dentist, as they won't touch someone elses surgical stitches so I'm left sat waiting.
Can you call and get in sooner? Any time I had an issue after an extraction, they would get me in the same day I called. I think if you told them you had pus and a fever, they would work you in.

G

Getoutmymouth

I called the hospital who said speak to the consultants secretary. Ive left a voicemail and emailed but no reply. I've used a private online GP to get antibiotics which will be delivered tomorrow.

G

Getoutmymouth

Oh god, just used a cotton bud to try and clean the wound..which i can't see, it's right up close to my back molar... a waterfall of pus exploded out of it.

M

MountainMama

Do you have an emergency service you can go to?

G

Getoutmymouth

I refuse to go to A&E. I know they won't do anything to help. I'll keep rinsing and start on the antibiotics when they are delivered tomorrow.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I can’t go to my dentist, as they won't touch someone elses surgical stitches so I'm left sat waiting.
Did they actually tell you that? I'm not impressed :(

G

Getoutmymouth

They didn't. But I have had a nightmare with them up until now. I had an infected wisdom tooth impacted that they wrongly diagnosed as a molar needing a root canal. Had stage one rct and antibiotics. Didn't get better.. more antibiotics. Didn't get better and the wisdom tooth broke through under my tongue.. they told me I needed that fixed but that they only do NHS referrals and it would take 6 months - 3 yrs due to covid.

It took me a further 3 appointments to finally get them to do a letter to refer me privately because they don't do that. They couldnt tell me what kind of dr or dentist I needed, just that I was beyond their capabilities. In that time I ended up with 4 lots of antibiotics, each time they were not happy to prescribe as they were not the ones "dealing with this" as I was awaiting surgery.

They have been unhelpful through this since it started in the middle of december so I haven't even tried this time. I don't have the energy to fight.

G

Getoutmymouth

I'm also allergic to metronidazole which they werent very pleased about as that would have "sorted me right out"
when I was there begging in pain for help.. they told me "we can give you more antibiotics if you want" I told them im not a dentist. I was told "it's probably resistant to antibiotics so it's up to you"

I was effectively told that they couldn't help me, didn't know who to tell me to help or what to do, and when I did find someone, they didn't "do referrals"
Its been a fight all the way and I'm tired.

M

MountainMama

I refuse to go to A&E. I know they won't do anything to help. I'll keep rinsing and start on the antibiotics when they are delivered tomorrow.
I am sorry. I meant does the place you had the extraction at have an emergency line? Most places I have been to have a regular line and an emergency line for things like what you have. That is awful! I hope you can get it sorted out quickly and get in!

G

Getoutmymouth

They advised I see my consultant asap or go into the hospital for a nurse to review. The hospital is a 2 hour drive away, and I don't drive.
My husband had to take time off work to take me and be with me last week and is in the office this week.
The hospital I had surgery at, is not where I am having my consults, although 40 minutes away. We travelled in order to be able to get the surgery done quicker due to the consultant seeing how much I was in need of the tooth out.
He is not a local surgeon and only consults for 2hours in this county per week and that is on a thursday evening.

L

lleigh26

I Suggest You Ring 111 & Ask For An Emergency Dentist App.. Normally I Can Get In If Ring Them.. You Really Need It Sorting Hun.. What An Ordeal.. How Are You Managing The Pain..? I Feel For You.. Hugs ? xx

G

Getoutmymouth

Thankfully I have tramadol I take for a few other health conditions. Hence a weak immune system that never fights off an infection. I’m taking ibuprofen and paracetamol to keep the fever down.
I don’t think any dentist or gp will do more than give me antibiotics anyway? I have those coming in the morning and an appointment to see my surgeon Thursday.

M

MountainMama

Thankfully I have tramadol I take for a few other health conditions. Hence a weak immune system that never fights off an infection. I’m taking ibuprofen and paracetamol to keep the fever down.
I don’t think any dentist or gp will do more than give me antibiotics anyway? I have those coming in the morning and an appointment to see my surgeon Thursday.
Since the tooth is out, hopefully the antibiotics will help fight the infection until you can get in for your follow up. Good luck to you! I hope the pain eases with the antibiotics.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
A dentist should be able to wash out the socket and put in some antiseptic paste, which will help a whole lot.
From the sounds of it you need a new practice :(

G

Getoutmymouth

My nhs dentist is horrendous. I had a stage 2 root canal booked for this friday.. been booked since Dec 24th. I phoned to reschedule due to all this and was told it was not advisable. I said neither is having it done when I have a raging infection after wisdom tooth surgery. Not even a whisper of are you ok etc. Just that they can't see me again for the rtc until April 29th so that's on the back burner.

I've seen my surgeon. I have an infection in the pocket which may be due to bacteria, but i also have an abcess in my cheek from the stitches pulling it down. It could be that draining into the pocket.
I have to finish my antibiotics from the online GP and then start another course.

I have a follow up with him booked for this thursday, if I'm worse, I go, if not I just don't turn up. But I'm then booked to see him next thursday to see how things are going and whether the abcess has gone or needs draining.