• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dry socket under stitches possible?

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear of all the pain and difficulties :(... I hope it can get sorted soon!! I hope the antibiotics start working. :grouphug:

G

Getoutmymouth

Thank you. I hope so too!! Very fed up of being in more pain than usual. I have endometriosis and interstitial cystitis so pain is my normal but more on top kicks me on my butt!

G

Getoutmymouth

The abcess is causing most of the pain im in. I think that's the source of the infection. Is it bad that I'm tempted to yank the stitches out to get this to go?

G

Getoutmymouth

Wisdom tooth surgery 11 days ago. Infection followed so started antibiotics. Now the stitches in my cheek are cutting in so much that my cheek is abscessed around them and draining a tonne more infection. I'm so done. If they don't dissolve today, I'm cutting them out.

G

Getoutmymouth

My surgeon took the stitches out last week. I thought that would fix the pain, but I was wrong.
The extraction site is throbbing and the first molar that has only had stage one root canal feels like it’s going to explode. It’s so painful.

I can’t tell what pain is what anymore.
The root canal is due to have stage two in over 2 months. Should I just have it extracted instead? I can’t handle more pain, I’ve had the worst tooth pain since December and I’m beaten.

G

Getoutmymouth

In December I had emergency stage 1 of root canal treatment done on my first molar. I was due to have stage 2 done recently, but due to another operation I had to have it rescheduled and it can't be done until the start of May.

The other operation was a wisdom tooth removal. That was over 2 weeks ago and I am on antibiotics for an infection, but the worst of the pain is in the stage 1 rtc tooth. I'm sure the infection is filling the empty tooth and creating this throbbing hell. My dentist wont do anything until stage 2, and my surgeon for the wisdom has done his job.

This is my 6th lot of antibiotics since December. I wonder if the infection in the rct has been there all along and spread post surgery? I'm in hell right now.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
By the sounds of it, the only way forward is to get somebody to go back into the molar, either redo the first stage of the endo or else remove the tooth.

G

Getoutmymouth

Thanks Gordon. I am so sick of all this. Not one day without horrendous tooth pain since middle of December. I've resorted to spacing out my amitriptyline that I take for other conditions, through the day so that I can sleep through the pain.

I see my surgeon thursday again, will ask his advice. Other dentists I have spoken to have said they won't attempt anything until infection is under control which just seems impossible with me.

G

Getoutmymouth

I'm very tempted to get the molar pulled out. I can't afford an implant so would just have to deal with looking awful, and not being able to eat too well as only have 1 molar on the other side too.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Lack of molars doesn't make a huge difference to your eating ability. As for looking awful, Joan Crawford had her molars extracted to enhance her cheekbones :)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Chances are though if the tooth gets opened back up and fully debrided inside it should settle down again. There's no reason not to crack on with this as long as you can manage to open your mouth a bit. Acute infection is a reason to do it, not the reverse!

G

Getoutmymouth

Thank you Gordon. I managed to get an emergency appt with my dentist.
The wisdom tooth site is healing well but the root canal molar is done with. It’s too far gone to save as it’s now infected for the umpteenth time and is also cracked.

I have to work through the pain until the 17th when it’s being extracted. I have to try to handle metronidazole for it which will be fun as last time I took that I ended up in hospital from severe sickness ?
I’ll be so glad to get this all over and done with. It’s been almost 3 months in agony dosing up on 6 lots of antibiotics. Metronidazole will be my 7th course.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Make sure you take the Metronidazole on as full a stomach as you possibly can, under no circumstances take any alcohol while you're on it. It's very effective stuff but quite hard on the digestive system. Shame the OS didn't swipe it at the same time as your 3rd molar :(

G

Getoutmymouth

Trust me.. I hinted at that, not very subtly either, but it didn't stick. Shame.

I've got some strong probiotics coming to start asap. Due to start the Metronidazole on Sunday and dreading it as have a family thing to go to which I can't get out of, Monday is empty the upstairs day as we have new carpet going in Tuesday.. so carpet fitters here all day then.
I don't want to be puking my guts up, or the other end.. at once as I recall the last time I took it before I ended up in an ambulance.