• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Dry socket!

H

Hemm2322

Hi I had my first tooth extraction last tuesday 08/09.a molar.
I went back to the dentist on 14/09 as was still in quite a bit of pain which got worse the more I spoke or the more I did.
He explained that it was healing up nicely but there was tiny bit in the coner that didnt have a clot, he sprayed it with water and put some Disposable packing in which tasted very strong!
It's been 48 hours since I had the packing done and I'm still in quite abit of discomfort. I just want to know really when will all this end! I suffer badly with anxiety and really dont want to be going back and the thought of him touching my hole again makes me feel sick, I just want to be able to talk, eat and just be normal again please when will this end! What happens once the brown stuff comes away? Urgh! Thank you.

K

KittyKat

I recently had dry socket after a tooth extraction so I know just how you are feeling. I also suffer from anxiety so I really do understand how difficult this is for you. The good news is I think you'll be feeling a lot better soon. If you had the extraction over a week ago then it should be on it's way to healing and if the dentist says it was then that should reassure you. Although I know with anxiety it's not always that easy.

I was in pain about ten days but the pain wasn't excruciating every one of those days. It fluctuated, probably depending on what painkillers I was taking. Are you taking any? They helped me hugely. Ibuprofen or something with codeine in is best. I alternated between both. I couldn't tolerate the nasty packing stuff. The taste was so strong and burned the back of my throat so the dentist took it out. It wasn't helping with the pain anyway so would have made a bad situation worse for me. It should just dissolve. Is yours helping? If it falls out and you want it repacked then just call the dentist and they should be able to do that for you. I also found warm heat pads helped with the pain. Mine was slightly complicated as it was infected. If the dentist didn't say yours was infected and you're not on antibiotics then you should feel better soon.

H

Hemm2322

I recently had dry socket after a tooth extraction so I know just how you are feeling. I also suffer from anxiety so I really do understand how difficult this is for you. The good news is I think you'll be feeling a lot better soon. If you had the extraction over a week ago then it should be on it's way to healing and if the dentist says it was then that should reassure you. Although I know with anxiety it's not always that easy.

I was in pain about ten days but the pain wasn't excruciating every one of those days. It fluctuated, probably depending on what painkillers I was taking. Are you taking any? They helped me hugely. Ibuprofen or something with codeine in is best. I alternated between both. I couldn't tolerate the nasty packing stuff. The taste was so strong and burned the back of my throat so the dentist took it out. It wasn't helping with the pain anyway so would have made a bad situation worse for me. It should just dissolve. Is yours helping? If it falls out and you want it repacked then just call the dentist and they should be able to do that for you. I also found warm heat pads helped with the pain. Mine was slightly complicated as it was infected. If the dentist didn't say yours was infected and you're not on antibiotics then you should feel better soon.
Thank you so much for getting back to me! I contacted the GP yesterday and got some codeine which definitely does help but as soon as its worn off it's back again, I gave in and phoned the dentist again today and they said sometimes the socket needs re-packing a few times before feeling better 😓 I'm back in tomorrow at 8:45am ....is it as bad as I imagine taking it out?
I'm thinking of asking tomorrow if it is really worth putting another on in.
I have 3 young children and really struggling with eating as well I've lost half stone in a week 😓. Thank you again so much for getting back to me.

K

KittyKat

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I contacted the GP yesterday and got some codeine which definitely does help but as soon as its worn off it's back again, I gave in and phoned the dentist again today and they said sometimes the socket needs re-packing a few times before feeling better 😓 I'm back in tomorrow at 8:45am ....is it as bad as I imagine taking it out?
I'm thinking of asking tomorrow if it is really worth putting another on in.
I have 3 young children and really struggling with eating as well I've lost half stone in a week 😓. Thank you again so much for getting back to me.
That's good you have some codeine and it's helping. I know that at it's worst it was a struggle to go the four hours before I could take some more. That's why I used ibuprofen too. I didn't want to keep popping pills but for the few days it was at it's worst I had to. I think the ibuprofen helps with inflammation too, so if yours is very sore then you might want to consider it. Taking the packing out didn't hurt me at all. It's done in a second. Was yours very sore when it was examined and packed? Are you still doing salt water rinses? That really helps and speeds up healing.

As for eating, I made sure I ate on the other side all the time and stuck to soft food. I lived on mashed potato and scrambled egg! It was a struggle to eat and took me a long time to finish meals but I tried to persevere as I knew it was important to have some food in my stomach while taking the ibuprofen, otherwise it can irritate the stomach lining. A word of warning about the codeine, it can be constipating if you are taking it in large doses, although not everyone finds that. Just thought I'd mention it because you don't want more problems to add to everything else. Just try and drink a lot of water and if you can manage any soft fruits then that should help if you are effected. I can relate to losing weight though, as I lose it very quickly if I don't eat properly for a few days and the anxiety doesn't help matters either. Hopefully you'll be able to eat properly again really soon.

It must be very hard to keep going and manage with three young children. Do you have any family to help? Like I said, the good news is these things don't last forever and it really will heal soon. Hopefully the dentist can reassure you about that. Let them know how worried and anxious you are. With my anxiety I need a lot of reassurance about health matters and to be told things are going to be okay. I think it's very encouraging that your dentist said it was healing nicely. Hope you feel better very soon.