• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dunnit! (UK)

G

Former Member
Yes, it's true...I finally did it...and if I can, so can you...
I went to the dentist this week (never thought I would say that again) for the first time in 25 years. Not only went there, but got out of the car, walked into the surgery and (eventually) sat in the chair. So far I've only had an examination - but hey, not so long ago, certainly before I discovered this site, even that would have been way beyond imagining.
My story isn't as heroic as some you'll read here. But it's a personal triumph just the same.
First off, I haven't been in pain. So there was no urgency. But...I knew it could only be a matter of time. I have two broken teeth, bottom left from where I'm looking. One happened four years ago, the other earlier this year. I have (very) old fillings that don't feel so good any more. I have receding gums, and occasional bleeding. All in all, mouthwise, I'm in pretty poor shape, getting worse and - until now - too phobic to do anything about it.
I couldn't even talk about teeth. Is there a worse phrase in the language than this: "Root Canal Filling"? I couldn't pass the local dental surgery without shuddering. I'm a father and I couldn't even take my two children to the dentist when they were young - that was left to Mum. There was no way I could ever see myself in a dentist's chair ever again. I figured there were two possible outcomes - either I would die before my teeth got really bad, or somehow they would magically heal themselves. I would wake up one morning with the teeth of an 18 year old again.
How did I get to this state? I can't be specific. Somewhere, I must have bad, bad memories of childhood dentistry buried away. Certainly I've had other fears in life and I've been able to control them.
But not my fear of dentists. This fear was controlling me.
With the help of this site, I came to realise I wasn't alone. And what's more, there were dentists who would sympathise. I even had a number to call - it just took me three months to find the courage to do it.
Eleven digits...I'd pick up the phone, dial 10 of them and hang up, palms sweating.
In the end, of course, no-one else can do it for you. I just ran out of excuses for not doing it. I made the call, spoke to the dentist in person (it's a basic one-man one-nurse practice), fixed the time.
He turned out to be an excellent choice - the first half an hour we spent talking in his waiting room. Injections, the drill, fillings, extractions, the clinical environment, the invasion of personal space - I think we agreed I was phobic about everything dentistry could offer. After that - it was my decision to walk thru to the surgery, my decision to get into the chair. Having coming so far, it would have been crazy not to.
The results? Well, amazing...my broken teeth can be repaired (fantastic!!), and my gums can probably be improved by some heavy duty cleaning.
We start that next week...yes, I've already made appointment two...I'm off to see MY dentist!!

Den - I know how much courage this has taken you, and I'm absolutely thrilled for you :cloud9:.

Have a drink on me :cheers:!!!

Well done Den :jump: Will be thinking of you next week and sending positive thoughts.

I too go next week, again for an assessment but at a different clinic. I have 5 days of worrying ahead of me.

Hello Happy - thank you! We've both been around this board for some time now, haven't we? I know your problems have been much worse than mine, so I wish you the best of luck, also, for next week.
Did you find that after making that first dental visit, irrespective of what work had to be done, you felt like you had moved on? That's the way I feel right now, like I've rounded a corner where I've been waiting for so long, and now suddenly I can see clear ahead. Do you know what I mean? My dental phobia has been more than just fear of the dentist - it has been a malign pressure on all of my life, something I always knew I would have to address sooner or later.
I don't know if I've beaten it yet. I guess the next appointment, and the appointment after that, will start to tell - but having come this far I'm determined not to falter, and I guess you feel the same. Next week, walk in there - and don't look back!

After my first appointment for treatment (extractions under iv sedation) i really did feel 10 foot tall...and actually WANTED to go back and continue with the rest of the treatment. Unfortunately, I feel like I've taken a few steps back, cos I had to put things on hold for quite a while as I had to look after my mum who lives about 200 miles away from me.
I'm soooo dreading this assessment appointment on wednesday as I dont have anyone going with me for moral support..( my partner cant get that day off) I can feel the anxiety building up now so god knows how I will feel on Tuesday night!!
Apologies.... I do tend to rant when I'm uptight.

Good luck tomorrow Happy! I'm just back from appointment number two...and I must confess, some of the confidence after last week's success had started to ebb away - but I went thru with it, at least this time I knew what to expect in there.
as it turned out, I needn't have worried - the dentist suffered a technical failure! His suction-machine thing stopped working as I got in the chair, so he couldn't go ahead with any treatment. he apologised profusely - but I told him I looked on it as an 11th hour reprieve! Same time same place, next week...!

Did you find that after making that first dental visit, irrespective of what work had to be done, you felt like you had moved on? That's the way I feel right now, like I've rounded a corner where I've been waiting for so long, and now suddenly I can see clear ahead. Do you know what I mean?

Well said! :jump:

Good luck for next week. :)

Keep at it den

I was in a similar situation to you. 20 years without a dentsist. Like you , I spke to him first

Tomorrow 30th Spetember is smile day. I will have a denture and no broken or damaged teetha ta the front.

My Mouth feels 10000000% bette rthen it did 9 weeks ago.

For me , as soon as I had the first extraction , I was confident in the pain releave and the dentist.

Its like going for an eye test now. An Hinderence to my life.

Things are so good , I had a job interview today , Ok , 4 teeth at the front , but i was confident enough to tell the interviewer that I was getting a denture tomorrow , and it was greta to actaully be able to answer interview quetsion without covering my mouth

thanks Jamesy & Bri...it's reading stories like yours which has encouraged me to get this far.
I keep saying how lucky I am - it turns out I don't need so much treatment...a couple of sessions of heavy-duty scaling & cleaning (below the gum line - this sounds grim!) and a couple of fillings to repair broken molars (a huge relief, I thou8ght they would have to come out).
But we all have one thing in common - that psychological barrier we have to break down before we can get through the surgery door...I'm already starting trhe build-up to next week's appointment.
Hope your new teeth are shining, Bri...keep smiling.

Artist's Story

Oh for goodness sake I never would of thought I would be posting in a forum like this, but here I am, about to share my experiences, fears and phobias.

Dunnit is the logical thread for me to begin my posting here.

My main phobia is having people in my oh so large personal space...I also have anxieties about going to a hairdresser so thats HOW bad I am!

Like some of you I had not been to a dentist in 30 years and here I am today just back from visit # 6 over a 6 week period.

I am terribly confused at this point.
Of the 6 visits, 4 have left me feeling really good about it all and myself etc and 2 have left me feeling down right depressed and confused.
Today was one of the bad ones :(
I have laughing gas each visit and during the 2 bad visits I felt the gas had worn off and my overwhelming phobia of having the dentist and his nurse and the lights and the trays AAARRRGGGGG it was just too much for me!
I cried like a baby when the procedure was finished.
It has left me feeling ridiculous, terribly embarressed and more than a little fearful of my next visit in 3 days.

I am so close to cancelling that visit in 3 days BUT I soooo want to have a healthy mouth and my smile back!!!

I feel very very frustrated and wish there was a pill I could take to make it all better! (go away)
Having said that...I love that I am so obviously quiet normal from what I have read on this forum.

Bring it on! more lauging gas I shall say to my dentist next visit I think!

:hidesbehindsofa:

To artist and den

two superb stories. i only had a major phobia with deep injections for the dreaded extractions spread over many years. usual negligence on gums, so ensuing bone then tooth loss :shame:

deep scale isnt too bad - they can give you slight surface injections so you dont feel anything.

by the way - Ive always asked any dentist to put some topical anaesthetic on the gum surface before using a needle. some have a spray o deaden it - others put some gel onto a cotton wadding and you just hold it in your mouth around the area to be treated. Numbs it and followed by a pain free procedure!

You gotta ask!!!!

thanks for that Limey!...it's my fifth visit today, and a few weeks ago I could never have imagined myself ever being in a dentist's chair again - but I have to say, the tension doesn't seem to get any less! the difference now is that, so far, I know I can tolerate what has to be done. we're still on scaling & cleaning, though...without any numbing as yet. fillings & injections still lie ahead, and they'll be the big test! the dentist knows about my needle phobia, so I'm hoping he'll have some tricks up his sleeve...
Artist, your visit must be over by now...hope it went well...

I have walked thro my dentists door 6 times in as many weeks :jump:

6 metal filling have been replaced with the white porceline fillings (zero pain)
1 wisdom tooth taken out (zero pain) and the majority of my scaling and cleaning is over (zero pain)...next visit on Nov 1st for the last little bit of cleaning and re-educating me HOW to brush my teeth and gums.

I feel like I have achieved and enormous step forward in the strengh/life of myself!
I have successfully quit smoking (3 years ago) and now I have acheived the unthinkable!

The world IS my oyster!!

The niterous oxide made it ok for me to walk thro that surgery door and allow Grame (my new best friend) to get the job done. I highly reccomend nitrous/laughing gas to anyone who has fears or even hesitations!

Back