• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Early decay and remineralization?

S

Snowball

Just had my 6 month check up, and my dentist spotted signs of early decay in a molar. (Down to my awful diet this past 6 stress filled months - the stress was nothing to do with dentistry!)

Anyway, I can reverse the unhealthy eating trend (I was an extremely healthy eater until my dad died last year, so know what I'm doing there). I never drink fizzy drinks, am dropping the alcohol and chocolate though, (cept for Xmas) and returning to my old mega healthy wholefood diet.

I let everything slip dietwise when my dad went into the final stages of his cancer - it was an extremely stressful time, and since then my best friend (only 47) has been diagnosed with cancer, too. It's not been an easy time, and when I got into bad habits - I stayed there.

My dentist recommended using Fluoriguard mouthwash - so got that.

Now to my q.... What else can I do - apart from the dietary stuff - to maximize chances of re-mineralization?

Anything else in terms of what I eat, teeth cleaning routine etc?

What would be the ideal things to do, to re-mineralize and arrest early decay?

Rub some high fluoride toothpaste into the early decay every night, assuming that you know where it is. Just put some on your finger and massage it right in there. Do this last thing before you go to sleep, so that it settles on there all night long, when your saliva flow is minimal.

Back