• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Effective painkiller and advice needed.

B

Big Buzzard

Hi all,

Sorry for the length of this post but want to give you the whole picture so I can get the best advice.

I have a regular dentist of 34 years but he is 120 miles away as we have moved house but I refuse to change my dentist as I trust him implicitly. :respect:

However, on Boxing Day I started getting pain in one of my front bottom teeth. I only had a check up two months ago and everything was fine then but this tooth has had a filling on the side a good few years ago. :confused:

By the following day I was still in pain but, of course, my dentist wasn't available as closed for holidays and answerphone referred to another service in his locality. If I was going to be unable to see my own dentist anyway it seemed pointless to travel all that way to see the emergency service so I looked for a service in the area in which I live. Unfortunately the telephone number was constantly engaged and I didn't manage to get through to anyone. :mad:

Left it till Monday this week in hope that my dentist would be back but unfortunately he is not back until Monday next so tried again with local emergency service.

Finally got through and got an appointment with a local dentist for that afternoon (yesterday). :jump:

Symptoms were constant pain which was noticable on biting, no swelling anywhere, no sensitivity to hot and cold, no tooth decay. I wondered if I had perhaps fractured the tooth as I bit into some crackling on Boxing Day, or somehow exposed the nerve, but of course I am not a dentist so was just guessing at what the problem could be. Dentist asked me these questions, did not even look in my mouth or take an x-ray, just said you must have an infection, I will drill into the back of the tooth to release it and pack it with antibiotic material, then you will need a RCT. I have already booked an appointment with my own dentist for Monday as I know he will put right whatever is wrong.

Firstly, the novocaine did not completely numb the tooth and I could feel him drilling. WITHOUT TELLING ME WHAT HE WAS GOING TO DO, he rammed another needle into my mouth, it felt like it went right into the nerve, I was yelling, it was the most pain I have ever had at the dentist, I begged him to stop but he held me down and carried on. :oAt least though, it did eventually numb the area, thank goodness! He carried on with the treatment but when he had finished I asked if there had been infection and he said no but gave me antibiotics anyway as he said there are a lot of infections around at this time of year and it would make sure that I didn't develop one. :confused:

I asked if I would still have a lot of pain once the anaesthesia wore off and he said I might have some discomfort for a day or two.

Well, before I had even finished paying I could feel the pain returning to the tooth and by the time I got home about 15 minutes later I was in absolute agony and crying my eyes out from the pain and the trauma of what had just happened. :cry:

I shovelled painkillers down my neck and started the antibiotics but here I am 33 hours later still with the same level of pain. :cry:

I have been taking ibuprofen, tried paracetomol with no effect, bought some Codis today on recommendation but it doesn't have much effect either but I am concerned as I have taking double the recommended dose of ibuprofen in 24 hours to keep the pain at a manageable level.

I am wondering if I had the correct treatment and would appreciate any comments from anyone qualified to know. Also, can anyone tell me which painkillers they have found to be most effective?

Thank you. I wish you all a pain free 2009.:censored:

Hi Big Buzzard,

Sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. From your description it does sound like an infection. An x-ray would be a good idea to confirm this.
Assuming it is an infection, and the tooth is correctly identified, then opening the tooth up, cleaning out the dead nerve and putting anti-biotic paste is a good idea. Antibiotics can take 48 hours to lessen the pain so I would keep taking the combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol (assuming there are no medical contra-indications to you taking these drugs).
If after 48 hours there is no improvement I would suggest trying to see a dentist again.

Good luck

Lincoln

Back