• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Effectiveness of Dental Fillings

L

LuLa

I know that idealy you would never need fillings, however I saw a dentist today I know I need 8 fillings and thats going to get taken care of. I had a really bad year of my life and a lot of things happened and unfortunately my dental hygene suffered. However that year is over, I am in a much better position now, and I want to know where do I stand if I stick to a dedicated regiment of dental care.

I have never smoked, I drink a lot of coffee but it has always been black coffee, soda and sugary tea is now completely out of my diet and has been for about 5 months, however I still drink homemade tea, black coffee and milk. I brush at least twice a day and gently brush after each meal or snack now, and as of today I am using a dentist prescribed tooth paste to do so going here on forward for awhile.

Specifically I want to know about how effective are fillings. Once they are in place are they effective at preventing further tooth loose with proper care of my teeth. IE does the tooth still decay under the filling? I know around the fillings can but that is if proper care is not taken correct?

I am also assuming that the structural strength of the tooth becomes compromised and you would be more prone to chip, crack, or break teeth. Or is this an unrealistic fear of mine? IE if a filling is in place and proper care of teeth occurs and a dental check ups occure twice a year, can a filling provide similar strength, or am I mistaken?

I apologize for posting again, but I am nervous and uncomfortable about what fillings means for me in the future, for my future health, for my future smile. Like does having 10 fillings at 27 mean I will have dentures by 35 or 37, if I take unwavering care of my teeth is this an inevidability for me, a good or bad chance for me, or an overblown fear.

I can't tell if my fear is justified or overblown and would like a realistic view on my situation.

Last edited:
I get where your coming from. I got a huge filling yesterday and I’m wondering if that’s my next crown. If this gives you ease of mind I’ve had cavities all my life and I have zero dentures. I have about 10+ teeth with filings in them and two crowns. No root canals yet even though I have a feeling one of my teeth will need one eventually. I’m 36 and have no dentures in my future as of yet. I’ve been dealing with cavities with my adult teeth as soon as I got them so your doing better then me.

Your filled teeth can last a lifetime, a filling doesn't mean you will lose the tooth in the future (that would be dramaticly bad news for the most people), on the contrary - it is a way to treat the tooth. Decay under the filling can happen if the filling gets worn out or damaged, but noticing this early enough is one of the purposes of regular dental check-ups so that the filling can get redone if it looks like it could cause problems (and even that still doesn't mean that you will lose the tooth). What you write about the structure being compromised sound more like a tooth that has a root canal treatment since there is no nerve anymore so that the tooth might get weak over time. That's why such teeth get crowns to be more stable. I have several fillings too, the most of them were done more than 15 years ago, some of them got redone over the years, however having them doesn't make much difference to me. After some time you might completely forget that they are there.

I have the special toothpaste which the dentist gives me, I have fillings done (one filling maybe replaced/repaired) a bit of bonding, root canal done twice and only lost one adult tooth (could not afford an emergecy root canal done and I was going on holiday a few days later, so decided to have it out)

I go to the dentist regularly (every three months) I am in my 30s but I got a difficult mouth to keep clean, I try to not drink too much soda, and cut down on the sweets and cakes, with crisps, I am scared hurting my teeth.

I don't want dentures never.

Thanks I appreciate the support, searching on here has really alleviated a lot of my fears.

I guess what I am realizing is that it boils down to being diligent and taking care of my teeth and its entirely possible / likely that the fillings will be just fine and so will my teeth from here out. It means that having fillings, although not great, doesn't mean loosing teeth, having root canals, or needing dentures.

Back