• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

electric toothbrush etc

P

patient

Just used mine which I bought today and my teeth feel lovely. I always hated flossing but have heard about electric flossers which is they say flosses better than manual.

anyone use one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi patient I am glad you like your new elec toothbrush, they really do make your teeth and gums feel much better than a manual.

I have a waterpik and although they do give you some very unexpected entertainment I did get a bit bored of using mine and have reverted back to flossing manually. They are not better than manual floss but if you have any bridges they do get to the bits around the bridge that are a bit awkward. They are down to personal choice and although I do like mine I don't use it often, it is especially nice if you put some nice minty mouth wash in it when you fill it with water it makes your gums tingle and it feels very nice and fresh after. Sometimes if you get something stuck between your teeth or under a bridge it will move it when normal floss and brushing fail. :butterfly:

Why do you say electric flossers are no better than manual? All the adverts say they remove more plaque than manual and dentists say they are better for people who hate flossing and people will more likely use an electric flosser than floss tape. I hate flossing and would enjoy it far more using the electric one..

Even my dentist receptionist say they are very good and I do not think its a ploy to get gulible people to spend money and for the manufacturers to make money by pretending they are better. Having said that, the dental receptionist said before I buy one, she wants to check with the dentist that it is suitable for my teeth because the water spurting out is not suitable for everyone due to water pressure on teeth. No idea what she means by that... anyway she will check and let me know what he says.

It isn't that they are better or worse than using normal floss and like you have been told if you really hate flossing it is ideal.

I was just telling you my experience of owning one, they are very good and leave your gums tingling but I just got bored with mine. Somewhere on the forum there is a whole thread about the waterpik which is very amusing. I will see if I can find it and link it here for you.

They are good for people with bridges, and I do have bridges so every now and again I get it out and have a play with it.

Some dentists say they are a waste of money but others think they are good. It really is down to personal choice.

Don't worry about the pressure, they have different settings of strength. I think if your teeth can deal with a dental clean then you should be fine.

There are plenty of things said for and against in other threads if you put waterpik in the search box at the top of the page and submit it a load of things come up for you to read. :butterfly:

Last edited:
I should have got an electric toothbrush years ago because my teeth feel fantastic. Lovely and clean and because it is so easy to use, I clean thoroughly all the way round each tooth for ages and want to keep going and going. I am sure that the novelty of the electric toothbrush will eventually wear off but because my teeth have never felt this clean with a manual brush, I just want to keep on with it. I now want to brush after every meal lol. If I had used one of these years ago I do not think I would have as many fillings, but my dentist said that manual toothbrushes are just as good, but you need to learn how to use them correctly. My dentist said he has no fillings and uses a manual toothbrush

Anyway I am lazy so need the electric one lol

I cannot wait to start the electric flosser as then my teeth will be in tip top condition, well not exactly as i have a number of fillings and two crowns, but you know what I mean.. I am protecting my teeth for the future. I cannot undo what damage has been done, but I can prevent further damage by good hygiene. :jump:

I only hope and pray that my dentist will deem me suitable for the flosser

I am glad you are enjoying using your new elec brush, I wouldn't like to be without mine because I know I cannot brush them as good with a manual.

I have never tired of using mine and like you I still take a lot of time brushing with it. I am sorry if you know this but you do know not to brush for 1 hour after eating don't you. When we eat it softens the enamel on our teeth and if we brush we can damage it. After an hour it toughens back up and it is safe to brush until our hearts content. Also remember to get to the gum line too.

I also get my replacement brush heads which I change every 3 months when they are on offer as they can be a bit expensive, I have an oral b elec brush and the heads are usually sold in packs of 4, so keep a look out for them when they are on offer.

I think you will be fine with a water flosser, try a bit of mouth wash in it when you fill it up. That really does make your gums tingle, in a good way.

You are doing really well. :jump::jump::jump: :butterfly:

The dental receptionist said she would check with the dentist before I get the electric flosser because I may not be suitable (not sure how or why). I called her today to find out what the dentist said and she said, since I am booked in next week for a clean to wait until then and the dentist can explain everything to me. I dont understand.. its a simple yes or no answer. Why do I need to go in to have a chat with him about it?

Anyway the receptionist said that if I am using an electric toothbrush and doing everything correct and my mouth feels very clean, there may be no need for the flosser.

Its not for her to say that. Besides, they say you MUST floss however you do it, whether electronically or manually. I would be very annoyed if they said you are brushing your teeth correctly and so no need to floss.

No dentist would ever say that. I hate manual flossing ....I do floss because I have to not because I want to or enjoy it. I would floss much more if I used the ? and would really enjoy it and would feel good that I am getting every bit of gunk out of my mouth from every nook and crany in my mouth.

With all these new fangled gadgets on the market, I think I have now become obsessed with mouth hygine. ;D

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I know what you mean about becoming obsessed with your dental hygiene, I have interdental brushes, glide floss, thicker floss that puffs out, super floss, electric flosser, elec toothbrush, a buzzy think that is like a tooth pik, and flossers that are like a bit of floss on a stick kind of thing, I also use mouth wash and brush twice a day with an electric toothbrush. I am forever fiddling with my teeth.

Good luck for your appointment, a lot of dentists say that electric flossers are a waste of money but like I have said before it is personal preference. When I use mine I do like it very much. :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I know what you mean about becoming obsessed with your dental hygiene, I have interdental brushes, glide floss, thicker floss that puffs out, super floss, electric flosser, elec toothbrush, a buzzy think that is like a tooth pik, and flossers that are like a bit of floss on a stick kind of thing, I also use mouth wash and brush twice a day with an electric toothbrush. I am forever fiddling with my teeth.

Lol - I'm exactly the same!! I have all the above plus a cut down manual brush and a tufted brush to get to those awkward lower teeth as mine are close together, I thought it was just me that was obsessed with dental hygiene :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back